Finance Manager, Arizona
The Nature Conservancy
Tucson, AZ, United States
3 days ago
Tucson, Arizona, USA
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The AZ Finance Manager provides highly specialized finance, accounting, financial operations, compliance, and related services to the Arizona Business Unit. Works at the Tucson Conservation Center and reports directly to Arizona’s Director of Finance and Operations (DFO).
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC we strive to embody a philosophy of Work that You Can Believe In where you can feel like you are making a difference every day. We’re looking for someone with strong experience providing excellent accounting, financial and related services in a collaborative culture, where how we work is as important as what we do.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to our mission of conservation and to be a member of the Arizona chapter’s Operations team who “Exists to help, and provides the foundation for conservation”. The position is varied and includes accounting, private awards (grants) administration, coordinating leases and vendor contracts, financial reporting, and related financial activities for the Arizona business unit. The ideal candidate will thrive in a position that includes both hands on transactional activities and coordinating accounting, finance and related processes. 700039The AZ Finance Manager provides assistance and information to all levels of Arizona chapter staff in a variety of accounting, finance and related areas based on advanced knowledge of management accounting and finance principals, TNC policies and procedures and Arizona chapter processes, finances and budgets. Works closely with, and with guidance from, Arizona’s DFO. Will likely supervise staff within first two years in position.
A. General Accounting/Finance (approximately 30%)
1. Directly perform general accounting duties, including preparing and entering journal entries.
2. Advanced user of TNC’s financial management and budget system(s) (Insight - a product of Unit 4 Agresso and Adaptive).
3. Oversee, provide guidance on, and may directly perform accounts payable processing to include reviewing payment requests and expense reports submitted by Arizona Business Unit staff and function as an advanced user and support to Arizona staff on TNC’s accounts payable system (Concur.)
4. Directly prepare, and provide general oversight of state, county, and local tax (use, personal property and real property) filings and exemptions.
5. Directly perform check and cash deposits for the Tucson Conservation center and provide general oversight for, cash/check/credit card deposit and receipting function. Collaborate closely with Development Operations and other staff. Process journal entries for non-constituent deposits.
6. Collaborate with TNC’s World Office (WO) Accounting functions and Finance Resource Center on various accounting and finance issues.
7. Perform designated balance sheet and clearing account analysis ensuring problems are timely identified and resolved.
8. Maintain Arizona’s financial structure resources (projects, activities, and awards) and related responsibilities such as requesting new codes, closing completed codes and other tasks related to organizing Arizona’s financial reporting.
9. Provide training etc. to Business Unit staff on various general accounting and finance details and processes, including expense reporting.
B. Private Award Financial Management (approximately 20%)
1. Collaborate with conservation and development staff to propose and administer private awards.
2. Maintain auditable private award files, directly or in collaboration with other operations staff.
3. Advanced practitioner of private award processes.
4. Use private award module (PCB) of Insight system for some awards at DFO direction.
5. Maintain private award financial summaries, updating per schedule, alerting award project/budget manager of issues and upcoming award end dates.
6. Process clearing and closing entries for completed private awards, including “match” entries.
7. Collaborate closely with government grants and other Arizona operations staff on overlapping government and private awards.
8. Collaborate with Sr government grants and other Arizona operations staff on administration and processing of private grants out.
C. Financial Reporting and Analysis (approximately 25%)
1. Run, file, distribute and analyze reports, on both an ad-hoc basis and per regular schedules, for DFO, budget managers, private award managers, or other staff.
2. Assist DFO with various financial processes such as input into budgeting program, forecasting and financial statement preparation.
3. Maintain financial records, both electronic and hard copy, under guidance of DFO.
D. Related Financial Operations and Compliance (approximately 15%)
1. Monitor accounting and management controls and processes to ensure compliance with TNC accounting related policies and procedures, relevant legal and regulatory frameworks, and financial / management best practices.
2. May function as Arizona’s Retention Coordinator – providing support to staff within the BU on retention guidance and activities.
3. Administer leases and non-conservation vendor contracts (such as equipment, vehicles, and office space), collaborating with Arizona staff, TNC legal and WO lease staff.
4. May engage in various insurance (non-employee benefit) responsibilities such as asset record-keeping, submitting insured asset changes to insurer or TNC World office, requesting certificates of insurance, distributing vehicle insurance cards, and coordinating insurance (non-workers comp) claims, etc.
F. Other (approximately 10%)
1. May direct or supervise other staff or volunteers.
2. Assists and provides backup to other AZ operations staff with administrative and facility related tasks as needed or as directed by DFO.
3. May act in supervisor’s place.
4. Participates in Operations, AZ Business Unit, Divisional, Regional and TNC-wide meetings, trainings, etc.
5. Performs own employee administrative tasks such as expense reports, timecards, performance self-evaluations, etc.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field and 4 years related experience or equivalent combination.
- Experience with accounting/financial issues and analysis.
- Experience using accounting and financial reporting systems.
- Technical experience with Excel, general ledger and subsidiary reports and financial management tools.
- Basic understanding of GAAP.
- Experience maintaining confidential information.
- Experience using Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Full understanding of financial statements and how they interact and impact one another.
- Multi-lingual skills and/or multi-cultural experience appreciated.
- 5 – 8 years of directly relevant experience.
- 2 – 5 years of supervisory experience.
- Ability to manipulate, analyze and interpret data. Advanced expertise in Microsoft Excel.
- Experience working collaboratively with non-accounting “client” staff and various organization-wide technical support professionals in a “matrix” organization.
- High level of accuracy, precision and paying attention to details.
- Ability to communicate financial/accounting information to non-financial/accounting colleagues.
- Experience using critical thinking skills.
- Experience communicating productively with colleagues.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to manage multiple and parallel deadlines.
- Non-profit accounting experience.
- May require technical expertise on complex accounting/financial issues.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) plan with an 8% employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports of the health and well-being of the people we employ.
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with the Conservancy's Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." Please see further details in the Auto Safety Program document available at www.nature.org/careers.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including; health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan including employer match, accrued paid time off (including annual, personal, and sick leave), life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work wellness benefits. Benefits may be subject to generally applicable eligibility, waiting period, contribution, and other requirements and conditions. Learn more about our benefits at nature.org/careers. We’re proud to offer a work-environment that is supportive of the health, wellness, and flexibility needs of the people we employ.
To apply for job ID 52672, submit your current resume and cover letter online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.