Sao Paulo, Brazil
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
In close collaboration with Global, regional and local teams, TNC’s senior management, and partner organizations Plan, organize, direct and control the organization's financial activities, establishing policies for the management of available resources and for the structuring, rationalization and adequacy of support services. It implements financial, accounting, tax, controllership and bookkeeping processes, being responsible for planning, organization and development in the short, medium and long term. Analyzing the operational result and preparing management reports demonstrating the effectiveness of the application of resources and the economic performance of the organization.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
We are looking for you to bring vital skills to support the Brazil business unit, supporting our global strategy, being:
- Differentiated vision for all areas of the business, active and assertive strategic, ensuring sustainable development and growth.
- Identify new opportunities ensuring the integration of areas.
- Ensuring that business and finance are aligned to planning.
- Ability to integrate between different areas of the business
- Align results, objectives, purposes with the business.
- Ensuring adequate integration between all areas of the business, always focusing on how the financial area can contribute to the development and evolution of the organization as a whole.
- Decision making in all strategic planning.
- Ability to make strategic and assertive decisions in times of crisis.
- Indispensable macro organizational vision with actions in other areas of the business.
- Team building facilitator, with a view of the whole, communicating between managers and decision-making, leading for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) and in congruence with all departments.
Responsibilities & Scope:
- Follow our Code of Conduct and demonstrate consistently our Values.
- Review and monitor income statement and balance sheet items (including pledges) at month and year end;
- Provide financial expertise in land deals or other special projects;
- Ensuring that income, expenses and net assets are managed to reflect donor intent, including working with cross-functional teams to carry out revenue allocation;
- Develop quarterly certifications related to land, asset depreciation and others
- Liaise and coordinate with WO treasury transfers of funds in accordance with the Financial Management Manual and WO treasury requirements.
- Manage, report and monitor exchange rate impacts;
- Manage privately funded awards and collaborate with Scholarship Specialists in managing public awards;
- Ensuring that contracted suppliers have the necessary insurance coverage and that appropriate documentation is obtained and maintained;
- Manage the accountability of the team for the strategic objectives related to the functional area;
- In addition, for programs outside the US, it may include one or more of the following:
- Manage and oversee TNC's local bank accounts. Manage keys/passwords and approve transactions, oversee bank reconciliations and ensure they are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Document flow management for hiring, terminations, dismissals, salary changes and special payments.
- Provide timely and accurate financial reporting and analysis to board members, project managers and BU directors;
- Develop, review and monitor budget, forecast, sustainability and strategic financial plans;
- Manage activities related to legal, labor and financial compliance in the country;
- Design, plan and manage multiple initiatives/projects, ensuring that the department and organization's strategies and goals are achieved, directing the team's work, setting deadlines and ensuring accountability;
- Interfacing with WO's treasury fund transfers in accordance with the Financial Management Manual and WO's treasury requirements.
- Manage relationships and work transparently with all external partners, including suppliers and service providers;
- Supervise the financial areas (controllers, treasury, accounts payable, accounting etc.) and operations, as well as managing people.
- Coordination and leadership of the annual audit process;
- Verification and posting of transactions accounting records for transfers, loans, land transactions, provisions, deferred income and expense corrections;
- Ensuring that the Conservancy's programmatic commitments, policies and procedures, GAAP and financial standards are met and managed for compliance.
- 100% home office work and availability for exploratory business travel.
- TNC has an occupational safety policy aimed to protect employees, partners and the communities where we work and serve. COVID-19 vaccine is a minimum requirement for all positions. Whenever applicable, as much as possible.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Fluency in Portuguese and English
- Bachelor’s degree and and significant experience or equivalent combination, including 2 years managing operations functions;
- Finance / Accounting experience;
- Fluency in English and Portuguese;
- Experience leading and implementing multiple projects;
- Experience generating financial reports, and analyzing and interpreting data;
- Experience developing and administering departmental budget or equivalent;
- Experience negotiating agreements;
- Experience working with teams across an organization; and
- Supervisory experience including setting objectives, managing performance, and conflict resolution.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experiences are appreciated;
- Ability to work in partnership with others in a collaborative or advisory role;
- Demonstrated ability to conceive and write creatively for various audiences;
- Experience developing, managing, and implementing goals, plans, and complex processes;
- Expertise in current and evolving technology related to field of experience;
- Expert knowledge of current and evolving trends in relevant discipline, preferably in a non-profit environment;
- Proficiency in interpreting guidelines and manipulating, analyzing, and interpreting data;
- Successful experience managing and implementing strategic program goals;
- Superior planning and problem-solving skills;
- Accounting degree and CPA accreditation; and/or
- Non-profit GAAP accounting experience.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for job ID 52196, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on September 29th. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.