Agriculture Finance Director Brazil
The Nature Conservancy
São Paulo, Brazil
11 days ago
São Paulo, Brasil
WHO WE ARE
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there are lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
World population growth and rising incomes are driving rapid increases in the consumption of food, fiber and energy, which in turn are contributing to climate change and straining the natural systems on which all life depends. In South America, TNC has been working for decades to stop deforestation and conversion of natural habitat from cattle ranching, soy farming and other activities. One of the pillars of our work has been the creation of innovative new finance mechanisms to support farmers in expanding production of beef and soy without deforestation and conversion of natural habitat (deforestation-and-conversion-free or “DCF”).
In 2021 TNC, the Tropical Forest Alliance (TFA), and the United Nations Environmental Program (UNEP) launched a new partnership at the Glasgow COP to take this work to the next level of scale and impact. The initiative, called Innovative Finance for the Amazon, Cerrado and Chaco (IFACC) is working to harness the momentum from companies, banks, asset managers, investors, and key global climate events to create a breakthrough in the commitment and implementation of DCF mechanisms. Key components of IFACC include synthesizing the case for action to expand DCF finance, raising the visibility and ambition for DCF financing among a target group of global companies, banks, asset managers, and investors, and supporting these partners to catalyze greater transaction volume. TNC, TFA and UNEP are all leading institutions in this space with highly complementary capabilities, which creates a unique opportunity to drive success and achieve our goals.
IFACC currently has 13 formal signatories who have committed to deploy over $4 billion by 2025. Key goals in the next phase of our work will be to support our partners to achieve their commitments and to grow the IFACC partnership to $10 billion by 2025. We will also be considering the expansion of the IFACC model to additional biomes and sectors in future years.
The TFA Agriculture Finance Director will lead TNC’s IFACC efforts in the region, in close coordination with our partners at TFA and UNEP. The director will build relationships with IFACC partner companies and financial institutions, provide them with value-added advice and support on the development of new IFACC-aligned financial products, serve as a key spokesperson for IFACC globally, and manage a team of IFACC staff, including staff who provides project management for IFACC and two business and financial analysts. The Agriculture Finance Manager will be a member of the IFACC Steering Group, comprised of senior staff from TNC, TFA and UNEP. The Director will report to the TNC Director of Agriculture Finance, based at TNC Headquarters in Arlington, VA. The preferred location for this position is Sao Paulo, Brazil.They must have ability to travel in Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina and internationally to meet with partners and stakeholders.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
We are seeking an innovative finance leader who is passionate about making a difference in the effort to address climate change.
The ideal candidate should be a strong team player with extensive experience and relationships in the financial sector and exceptional communication and collaboration skills and ability to work in fluid environments. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to our ongoing mission of conservation and climate change mitigation by directing and shaping the work of our team!
Responsibilities & Scope:
The Agriculture Finance Director will collaborate with colleagues within TNC, the Tropical Forest Alliance, the United Nations Environmental Program and with partner organizations to:
- Follow our Code of Conduct and demonstrate consistently our Values.
Build relationships with IFACC signatories and prospective partners, including banks, companies, asset managers, investors, and catalytic capital groups
- Provide advice and support to IFACC signatories and prospective signatories on the design of impactful IFACC-aligned financial products, the lessons learned from other financial products in the market, sources of capital and partnerships for product implementation, environmental and social requirements and KPIs, and other areas as needed.
- Serve as a spokesperson for IFACC at major global and in-region events, workshops and meetings.
- Synthesize and package information into compelling narratives for target audiences
- Work with initiatives of TNC, other NGOs and initiatives in this area to share information and coordinate efforts
- Manage and develop a team of staff
- Provide strategic input into the priorities and future direction of the IFACC initiative
- TNC has an occupational safety policy aimed to protect employees, partners and the communities where we work and serve. COVID-19 vaccine is a minimum requirement for all positions.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor's degree and experience in business and finance, such as banking, private equity, asset management, agribusiness corporation or relevant experience gained with a leading conservation organization or government entity
- Experience managing and implementing complex projects, financial transactions and/or strategic initiatives in a matrix environment, working with multiple colleagues, clients, team members or other stakeholders
- Experience communicating information and key messages clearly between the finance and environmental sectors
- Experience being a team player who can build relationships and work collaboratively across the organization and with partners.
- Experience with leadership, project management and communications capabilities
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Portuguese
- Experience recruiting, supervising, and developing staff.
- Experience in developing, directing, and implementing multiple projects.
- Master’s degree or other graduate degree incorporating significant course work in business, finance or economics.
- Experience working in or with companies, lenders and investors in the agribusiness sector
- Experience working with sustainability and climate issues
- Ability to write and speak in Spanish
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work environment that is supportive of the health, well-being, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
To apply for job ID 52819, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on January 31st, 2023. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.