Financial Analyst/ Grants Specialist
The Nature Conservancy
Sacramento, CA, United States
27 days ago
Sacramento, California, USA
Sacramento preferred, though candidates will be considered throughout the state of California.
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Head to YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and experience that go beyond the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment. If you’re interested in working with us, please apply—we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “You’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Financial Analyst/Grants Specialist provides highly specialized finance/accounting-related services to a department within the California business unit.
The Financial Analyst/Grants Specialist provides highly specialized services in one or more of the following functions: financial analysis and reporting; financial management; accounting; auditing; grants administration, management controls and reporting; or similar financial activities for a department or business unit. They have a high level of expertise in their area(s) of specialization. The position administers and maintains finance/accounting activities in accordance with TNC policies and procedures and best practices in financial/organizational management. The Financial Analyst/Grants Specialist provides assistance to all levels of personnel in their specialty area. They respond to complex employee/management questions and problems based on advanced knowledge of the subject area.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Works toward meeting the strategic priorities of the program by developing and coordinating tactics for approved plans and completing day-to-day tasks.
- Ensures programmatic commitments, TNC policies and procedures, financial standards and legal requirements are met and managed for compliance.
- Coordinates and assists with of preparation and management of annual operating budgets and reporting for assigned portfolio
- Responsible for full lifecycle award administration, including budget development and submission, interim reporting, and closeout
- Reinforces consistency in the organization's policies and procedures and provides support related to relevant field.
- May coordinate projects.
- May participate in complex negotiations
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field and 4 years' related experience or equivalent combination.
- Technical experience with public and/or private award accounting.
- Experience using accounting and financial reporting systems.
- Experience in budget construction and forecasting
- Experience with government regulations related to grants and contracts
- Experience, coursework or other training with U.S. Federal Uniform Guidance, state and local regulations, multilateral and international regulations, and standard contract clauses, as applicable.
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills. Experience in manipulating, analyzing, and interpreting data.
- Non-profit accounting experience preferred.
- Advanced expertise in Microsoft Excel, including the use of Pivot Tables and PowerQuery.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with ability to prioritize heavy workloads.
- Team player – quick and willing to lend help.
- MBA, CPA and/or CIA may be preferred.
- Multi-lingual skills and/or multi-cultural experience appreciated.
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including; health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan including employer match, accrued paid time off (including annual, personal, and sick leave), life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work wellness benefits. Benefits may be subject to generally applicable eligibility, waiting period, contribution, and other requirements and conditions. Learn more about our benefits at nature.org/careers. We’re proud to offer a work-environment that is supportive of the health, wellness, and flexibility needs of the people we employ.
To apply for job ID 51882, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ Applications will be reviewed in the order that they are received, with a final deadline of 8:59 PM PST on Friday, August 25. We ask that you use your cover letter to answer the following questions with your responses by number (it does not need to read or look like a standard cover letter):
- Why are you interested in this position and working at TNC?
- What strengths do you see best aligning with the responsibilities of this positions?
- Where might you have a learning curve?
Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.