IT Director - Cloud Center of Excellence
The Nature Conservancy
14 days ago
Flexible within the USA
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Information Technology Director - CCOE is responsible for directing all cloud aspects of a large and highly complex IT team, operation, system or service. They work within an established vision, identify key challenges, synthesize a plan of action for the area of responsibility, and deliver targeted outcomes. This individual reports to a Chief Enterprise Technology Architect.
The IT Director - CCOE works closely with other IT and business units and departments to ensure their area of responsibility functions effectively. They are the primary liaison to external partners/vendors on matters pertaining to their program area. They have overall leadership and management responsibilities for the Cloud CCOE. These responsibilities include the recruiting, developing, and managing staff, establishing and monitoring budgets and communicating with TNC and our partners. Their work may involve minor physical exertion and/or strain.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for work you can believe in? We strive to embody this philosophy so that you can feel like you are making a difference every day. We’re looking for someone with strong experience in leading and managing a Cloud Center of Excellence with multi-disciplinary team and multiple highly complex large-scaled projects in a decentralized organization. They must be an effective communicator and will be interfacing with a global audience. This is critical work that will bring the organization together to create a world where people and nature can thrive!
The IT Director of Cloud COE (Cloud center of excellence) will be responsible for cloud cost management, governance, and cloud optimization strategy. This leader will be responsible for building a team of architects/engineers to accomplish goals and help ensure operational success of TNC cloud strategy. The leader will help build strong capabilities in cloud strategy, optimization, financial management, and in working collaboratively across product, application, and architecture teams to meet organizational objectives. They have overall leadership and management responsibilities for the Cloud COE functions and the service team. These responsibilities include the recruiting, developing, and managing staff, establishing and monitoring budgets and communicating with TNC and the partners.
- Establish and Lead CCOE (Cloud center of excellence) to drive efficiencies across cross-functional teams working in collaboration with cloud architects
- Contributes to and supports the TNC Strategic vision that includes Cloud strategy, standards and best practices associated with all aspects of Cloud offerings
- Drive cloud optimization by identifying areas of opportunities across various cloud platforms to reduce cost and improve performance
- Jointly responsible for tracking cloud consumption, budget and forecast along with finance team and working with product teams to reduce cloud consumption costs
- Drive early phase to explore activities and work collaboratively within integrated, cross-functional teams to deliver comprehensive strategies that enable Cloud and Infrastructure transformations
- Jointly accountable for the successful delivery of cloud programs along with architecture, technical program management and product groups
- Responsible for ensuring cross-functional teams are adhering to cloud standards
- Facilitate Training, Coaching, and Mentoring to drive Cloud principles and best practices
- Establish KPIs illustrating the progress of our cloud migration strategy
- Manage vendor relationships with our Cloud Service Providers
- Manage CCOE support staff including performance management
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, MIS, or other relevant technical area
- 7 years’ experience in IT architecture and infrastructure strategy and design, priority on cloud experience
- 5 years’ experience with leading effective teams and collaborating across business and functional units to drive results
- 3 years’ experience in establishing and leading Cloud Center of Excellence related to AWS
- Experience working with cloud automation tools such as Terraform, AWS CloudFormation and Serverless experience is also a plus.
- Experience in building CI/CD pipeline automation using AWS, Bitbucket, and Terraform
- Experience working in DevSecOps team/organizations with applied Agile development practices
- Ability to lead the organization on effective cloud strategies and practices to improve cloud capabilities while enabling enterprise growth
- Strong collaborative problem solver, strong verbal and written communication skills to present complex ideas effectively
- Experience in a global organization and ability to lead the diverse team
- Effective team player with strong emotional intelligence – self-awareness, confidence, ability to manage conflict, and empathy.
- Ability to effectively respond to questions and issues – i.e., effective in communicating complex concepts to diverse audiences at all levels in the organization.
- Experience in architecting and implementing cloud-based solutions with robust Business Continuity and Disaster Recover requirement
- In depth, practical experience with Cloud methodologies (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS), automation, orchestration, trends and industry-leading cloud vendor offerings
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively with senior stakeholders and team members
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including: health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan including employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work wellbeing benefits. Learn more about our benefits at in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work-environment that is supportive of the health, wellbeing, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
To apply for job ID 52146, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.