Investment Associate, NatureVest (Location Flexible)
The Nature Conservancy
6 days ago
Arlington, Virginia, USA
This position may be in office or remote in any country in which TNC has offices, with a preference for North America or Europe, including New York, San Francisco, or London, and must have ability to work during USA ET time zone business hours. Must be eligible to work in country of residence, no visa or immigration support provided.
WHO WE ARE
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube or on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
NatureVest is the impact investing unit of TNC. NatureVest’s mission is global financial markets that value and integrate national capital at scale. It does so by sourcing capital and structuring investable deals that generate financial returns and achieve measurable environmental and social outcomes. NatureVest has helped TNC and its partners originate, structure, fund and close investment vehicles representing more than $2.4 billion of committed capital.
Our vision is based on the conviction that capital markets, businesses and governments must invest in nature as the long-term capital stock of a sustainable, equitable and more efficient economy. To achieve our mission, we source and structure investment products that support TNC’s global strategies, raise capital for these investments, and share our knowledge and experience with the investment and conservation communities to influence efforts in this emerging area. To learn more, visit: www.nature.org/naturevest.
Use your financial modeling skills to address global climate change! The Investment Associate (the Associate) will provide financial modeling and analysis support for the NatureVest deal Origination team in the preparation of submissions of all deliverables required at each step of the origination and structuring process from early identification of investment pipeline to financial close. The Associate will build, audit, and maintain sophisticated financial models, and support deal team staff on drafting presentation decks, memoranda, term sheets, and other deal materials for internal and external audiences, due diligence, market intelligence analyses, and other origination assignments. The Associate will report to the Senior Director, Investment Origination, NatureVest.
The Associate will be an integral member of the NatureVest Origination team and will support it with financial modeling and related analytics for business development, internal approvals, investment processes, and post-close monitoring. The position requires building complex financial models for a range of financial structures including direct investments, funds, blended finance, and fund of funds utilizing, but not limited to 1) debt; 2) venture capital; 3) private equity; and 4) guarantees with a range of financial structures, seniority and tranches, financial returns, and waterfalls. The Associate will be expected to build models in accordance with commercial best industry practices, audit/edit third-party models, run scenario and sensitivity analyses, maintain and optimize models from due diligence through to financial close, summarize the results of modeling and other quantitative analysis in presentations and memoranda, occasionally present to senior management and external audiences, and project management.
The Associate will also support the development of investor pitch decks and other investment-related materials, conduct investor and partner due diligence, and populate data rooms.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Build, audit, edit, maintain and optimize financial models in Excel following commercial market best practices (clearly identified/documented assumptions, consistent/transparent formulas, fully dynamic calculations, solid mathematical logic, appropriate accounting treatment, consistent formatting/labeling, etc.).
- Conduct sensitivity/scenario analyses and probabilistic simulations to assess likelihood of gross and net investment returns.
- Summarize results of analyses in clear and succinct documents. Help draft internal approval documentation (e.g., investment committee/board memoranda). Periodically present to senior management and external partners.
- Help draft presentation decks, memoranda, and term sheets to communicate lending/investment opportunities to potential limited partners, general partners, debt investors, public sector investors, and other third parties.
- Liaise with internal and external experts in conservation, tax/accounting, legal, and model auditing to develop/refine model parameters/assumptions.
- Conduct and present due diligence on investment partners.
- Populate data rooms as needed.
- Work on several initiatives simultaneously, likely at different stages of development (initial scoping, business development, due diligence, investment negotiations, closing, etc.). Adhere to agreed deadlines and communicate proactively.
- Perform additional job-related duties as needed.
- Travel of estimated >25% time may be required.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC we strive to embody a philosophy of ‘Work You Can Believe In’, where you feel like you are making a difference every day. Our division plays a critical role in helping TNC achieve our 2030 Goals and addressing climate change. NatureVest is expanding our reach across new geographies, and this position will be vital to increasing our capacity to analyze deals.
The ideal candidate should have exceptional communication and collaboration skills and advanced financial modeling and presentations’ skillsets. They will be working on a small team with colleagues in the United States, Africa, Europe, and Singapore. Ability to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders, across many different cultures, will be key to success in this position. Help bring impact investing to an even wider audience and apply today!
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field and 4 years' related experience or equivalent combination.
- At least 2 years of focused experience in developing/using complex financial models in a commercial setting such as investment bank, private equity firm, hedge fund, asset management firm, or other investment company.
- Proven experience in developing/using complex financial models in a commercial setting such as investment bank, private equity firm, hedge fund, asset management firm, or other investment company.
- Knowledge of advanced Excel functions (macros etc.). Note that shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a case study in Excel and present results in PowerPoint.
- Experience with financial modeling standards (such as FAST).
- Experience generating presentation and financial reports and analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data via written and verbal communication.
- Chartered Financial Analyst I, II, or III, CAIA Level 1 or Level 2, or similar certification.
- Experience working on projects that require a high degree of detail, collaboration and organization, pro-active communication and follow-up with time sensitive deadlines.
- Experience making decisions based on incomplete or ambiguous information.
- Multilingual skills and/or multicultural experience.
- Experience working in interdisciplinary, cross functional teams that build strong relationships and motivate internal colleagues and external partners.
- The Nature Conservancy is committed to diversity and encourages candidates with diverse and nontraditional backgrounds to apply.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for job ID 52267, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.