Director of Global Corporate Insurance
The Nature Conservancy
15 days ago
This position location is flexible within the U.S.
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Director of Global Corporate Insurance (DGCI) directs risk management activities and personnel for all aspects of The Nature Conservancy’s (TNC) Corporate Insurance Function.
The DGCI is a senior risk manager role within the Finance Business Unit that reports to the Director of Operations Administration and Strategy in the Office of the Chief Finance and Administrative Officer. The DGCI chairs TNC’s Insurance Committee, and is responsible assessing and managing corporate insurable risks, negotiation of insurance provisions in key contracts, supervising placement and renewal of global corporate insurance policies, and implementing structures and strategies to optimize the insurance portfolio.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Oversees department budget and risk capital, monitors expense, analyses results, and takes corrective actions.
- Monitors enterprise exposures to ensure adequate commercial insurance for TNC’s risk appetite.
- Develops and communicates policies and standard operating procedures to ensure widespread knowledge of coverage options, parameters, and expectations.
- Supervises recurring assessment, modeling, and analysis of enterprise risks, exposures, claims, and macro trends then leverages that knowledge to optimize the insurance portfolio for the future.
- Partners with attorneys, risk and safety teams, conservation portfolio owners, and across TNC business units to improve claims management, anticipate insurance needs, and drive behaviors that reduce potential claims.
- Coordinates management of brokers and insurers across the enterprise.
- Establishes and maintains best practices for the insurance function.
- Proactively identifies alternate or non-traditional strategies and solutions to optimize insurance costs versus coverage.
- In partnership with the Office of the Chief Legal Officer and Insurance Brokers, fields insurance queries from across TNC and manages claims to within acceptable levels.
- Collaborates with TNC’s subsidiaries and related entities, government agencies, NGOs, and like- minded conservation organizations to realize insurance solutions for the good of conservation.
- Conceives, designs, and directs high-level interdepartmental projects with enterprise-wide impact.
- Directs the development and implementation of a strategic, integrated, and collaborative approach across the organization.
- Makes strategic decisions that have enterprise-wide impact and may bind the organization financially or legally or affect public image.
- Supervises, motivates, leads, and develops, professional and administrative staff.
- Ensures programmatic commitments, TNC policies and procedures, financial standards and legal requirements are met and managed for ethical compliance.
- Provides oversight for comprehensive policies, procedures, and institutional guidelines related to WO Finance function(s).
- Travel may be occasionally required.
- Directs or participates in negotiations for complex, high profile or sensitive agreements.
- Reports on program activities to leadership.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC we strive to embody a philosophy of Work that You Can Believe in where you can feel like you are making a difference every day. We’re looking for someone with strong experience in leading a diverse, multi-disciplinary team.
The ideal candidate should have exceptional communication and collaboration skills and experience designing, organizing, and directing complex projects. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the ongoing mission of conservation by directing and shaping the work of our team!
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field and 9 years related work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Insurance accreditation such as Associate in Risk Management (ARM), Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) or Accredited Advisor in Insurance (AAI).
- Experience with most major commercial lines of coverage, direct claims responsibility, oversight of insurance transactions, and managing insurance broker relationships
- Experience recruiting, supervising, developing, training and mentoring staff and directing teams of professionals.
- Experience conceiving and implementing strategic initiatives.
- Experience managing the finances of a larger program or function, including setting financial goals, analyzing results, and taking corrective actions.
- Experience working at a senior level.
- Bachelor’s degree in Risk Management, Finance, Business Administration, or related discipline
- 10+ years working in a Risk Management and/or Insurance leadership capacity
- Experience or familiarity with captives, self-insurance solutions, parametric and catastrophic policies, fronting arrangements, etc.
- Experience or familiarity with US and non-US insurance markets.
- Experience or familiarity with debt protection strategies.
- Excellent communication, conflict management skills, and presentation skills.
- Interpersonal skills needed to maintain good working relationships with brokers, insurers, vendors, clients and all levels of employees.
- Excellent contract review and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability in project planning, decision making, results delivery and team building
- Commitment to continuous improvement, process improvement, and fact/data-based management.
- Expert knowledge of current and evolving trends in insurance and risk management.
- Extensive management experience including ability to motivate, lead, set objectives, and manage team performance.
- Ability to foster an environment of creativity and professional growth.
- Experience using high levels of patience, perseverance and political savvy for managing inclusive processes in a highly decentralized environment.
- Successful experience in developing, directing and managing multiple projects.
- Multi-lingual skills and/or multi-cultural experience appreciated.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) plan with an 8% employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports of the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for job ID 53436, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of The Nature Conservancy's background screening process.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.