Open until filled
This position is not eligible for relocation or immigration assistance.
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Computational Ecologist will provide technical and scientific support and leadership for Natural Climate Solutions research. This role will focus on compiling, synthesizing, and generating spatial and non-spatial data at landscape, regional and global scales. The Computational Ecologist will lead and collaborate on the development of maps and other data products, reports and peer reviewed publications. It is anticipated that the position will focus heavily on forest opportunities (agroforestry, reforestation, avoided forest conversion, and improved forest management) but may involve helping others to identify the best data, analytical approaches, and data management processes for other work streams. This position is funded through December 2024, but it is anticipated that this position could continue depending on funding availability.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Design and implement research related to Natural Climate Solutions in forests and other ecosystems
- Provide training and advice about best available data, computational tools and workflows, and analytical approaches
- Administer and coordinate projects, workstreams
- Deliver and manage tools, data, field services and help to build the computational and analytical capacity of staff and partners
- May provide fieldwork and logistical support for research, project development and monitoring.
- May lead staff, interns or volunteers on a project basis
- May manage a grant, contract or request for proposal
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, in hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
The Computational Ecologist collects, synthesizes, manages, and analyzes spatial and tabular data primarily related to the protection, restoration, and improved management of forests. They will develop independent research projects and lead the interpretation and communication of the findings from these analyses for use in publications, presentations, and websites. Success in this role requires being savvy in a range of geospatial tools and analysis, experienced in conducting computationally intense analyses, able to work effectively in an independent manner and/or with others in a fast-paced, highly matrixed organization, and able to respond to dynamically shifting needs and priorities.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Master's Degree in science related field and 2 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience leading and working with cross functional teams.
- Experience synthesizing, interpreting and communicating scientific information.
- Experience collecting, manipulating, statistically analyzing and interpreting data and preparing reports of findings.
- Record of peer reviewed publications in scientific journals.
- Experience working and communicating with a wide range of people.
- PhD in science related field and 1 year of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS software (or other geospatial software) as related to responsibilities described above.
- Experience coding in R, Python or equivalent computing language.
- Multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Ability to answer research questions related to conservation strategies with creative and novel data sources and analysis methods.
- Experience with cloud computing and/or other distributed processing techniques.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to take initiative and drive results in an unstructured work environment.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
The location for this position is remote and flexible within the United States. The starting salary pay range for a candidate selected for this position is generally within the range of $63,000 - $94,000. This range applies to candidates whose country of employment is the USA. Where a successful candidate’s actual pay will fall within this range will be based on a variety of factors, including, for example, the candidate's location, qualifications, specific skills, and experience. Your geographic location will be confirmed during the recruitment. This position is not eligible for relocation or immigration assistance.
To apply for job ID 54292, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.