Communications Specialist Ecuador
The Nature Conservancy
4 days ago
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
This is a 2-year term contract
The Communications Specialist, Ecuador develops, manages and implements communication and media strategy that facilitates comprehension, adoption and advancement of the organization’s goals and objectives for identified Iconic Places in Ecuador, with a strong focus on external and internal (across TNC in Latin America and globally) audiences, including generating appropriate communications strategy and material to reach private sector, governments in different levels and instances, influencers and key decision makers. They will oversee and coordinate all the communications efforts for the Ecuadorian amazon, aligning its messaging with the conservation strategies in Ecuador and regionally.
This position also unites conservation messages into a narrative of systemic change and adoption of nature-based solutions to tackle climate change and other environmental challenges at large scale. This position reports to the Director of TNC Ecuador and in dotted line to the Regional Director, Marketing & Communications. Given TNC’s highly matrixed structure, the position will also work in close collaboration with the Ecuadorian Conservation team, the Latin America Marketing and Development teams and the global Shared Conservation Agenda priority teams to align and deploy messages that are both globally relevant and locally appropriate. The right candidate will be based in their home-office in Ecuador.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
The Communications specialist, Ecuador is responsible for developing and implementing focused communication and media strategies to drive and constructively contributes to TNC´s systemic approach to scale and transform conservation and sustainable development in the region and across the conservation strategy actions. They help to facilitate on-going communication between all parts of the globally dispersed marketing division, internal and external stakeholders and identifies communication and media needs and opportunities. They develop speeches, key messages, talking points, infographics and short executive level briefings (1-2 pages), among other, as needed. They actively identify target audiences and cultivates media contacts on a local and national level. They develop and foster relations with key stakeholders and media contacts and manages the dissemination of media information. They provide consultation, media training, coaching and talking points to persons serving as spokesperson(s).
Specifically, the Communications Specialist will:
- Manage local communications for projects supporting TNC Iconic Places System’s project and its correlated conservation strategies, with greater focus in the Amazon Biocorridor.
- Create new strategy and dissemination channels in Ecuador.
- Distill science, finance and economic-based technical analyses into clear messaging that support our conservation mission while appealing to external target audiences and support the creation of campaigns, often business oriented. This may be conducted in-house or through consultancy work.
- Create core messaging and talking points and leverage TNC’s projects via external vehicles to generate greater visibility for the Ecuador team.
- Feed communications opportunities and content up to Global Communications into TNC’s distribution channels.
- Coordinate with LAR Marketing to ensure consistent messaging in Ecuador and across projects that span multiple strategies and geographies.
- Monitor news about indigenous, local communities and Ecuadorian government to implement an efficient communication management and promote contingency actions in the face of possible crises.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Manage and serve as team lead on TNC Ecuador´s communication and/or media initiatives.
- Evaluate results and develop recommendations for corrective strategies as needed.
- Responsibility and accountability for meeting project goals and objectives.
- Resolves complex issues independently within program area.
- Opportunity to act independently within program goals.
- Actively participate on working groups with TNC partners to advance the conservation agenda in the region.
- Interacts in cooperation with stakeholders and multisector actors in Ecuador.
- Helps strategize, coordinates, and implements Communications projects aligned with the Program and regional goals.
- Consolidates, implements, and manages TNC Ecuador´s communications strategy in both digital and traditional media.
- Develops content provided by the conservation team to communicate internally and externally.
- Suggests and updates content for TNC Ecuador´s website, both in Spanish and English.
- Responsibility and accountability for said projects.
- Coordinates TNC Ecuador communications with regional and global initiatives strengthening the relationship.
- Optimizes digital content, campaigns, and initiatives on a regular basis to boost performance and reach for existing and new digital strategies.
- Works with vendors/other parties to execute projects/deliverables.
- Analyzes results, identifies opportunities, and provides recommendations for future content initiatives.
- Support Program’s fundraising processes with digital and communications content
- Manages communication campaigns.
- May work with vendors/other parties to execute projects/deliverables.
- Manages TNC Ecuador´s social media networks for community relations together with the regional and/or global office.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and a minimum of 5 years of related professional experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Fluency in written English and Spanish.
- Experience managing and implementing media strategies and measuring results.
- Experience researching information from divergent sources and compiling it into a cohesive communicational report.
- Experience writing, editing and proofreading messages for targeted audiences.
- Experience cultivating and managing client relationships.
- Experience developing media relations networks.
- Experience implementing and managing complex projects.
- Complete COVID-19 vaccination scheme
- Multi-lingual skills appreciated. Portuguese, in addition to English and Spanish, will be a differential.
- Multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience preferred.
- Experience developing, implementing and measuring communication and engagement plans/strategies.
- Experience in synthesizing complex scientific or financial concepts into succinct and objective communications pieces for non-expert audiences.
- Excellent writing, presentation, and communication skills.
- Excellent skills in power point and other design programs
- Familiarity with communication technologies and best practices.
- Knowledge and application of current and evolving trends in sustainability, conservation and communicating with corporate audiences.
- Experience organizing events and corresponding communications materials to promote conservation results before, during and after the event.
- Experience implementing communicational strategies with local communities and indigenous people, as well different public actors and local and national levels.
- Availability to travel to field projects.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for job ID 52846, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on February 10th, 2023. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.