Conservation Specialist Patagonia
The Nature Conservancy
Puerto Montt, Chile
14 days ago
Puerto Montt, Chile
Modalidad Teletrabajo. Vacante abierta a candidatos que vivan en Punta Arenas, Puerto Natales o Puerto Montt.
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
This position is fixed term for 1 year.
The Conservation Specialist Patagonia, provides technical leadership and support to a business unit and plans and directs preserve management programs and stewardship promoted for TNC on Patagonia. The CS support the process and action related with conservation action plan in order to addresses critical threats to natural systems and individual species, fosters cross-site learning among conservation community, and supplies conservation planning teams with site or landscape level information relevant to the planning process. The CS develops and implements conservation strategies and employs a full range of protection tools to acquire varying degrees of legal interest in land and implements a variety of strategies to secure public and private support for TNC conservation priorities. The CS coordinates community and national authorities support for the conservation action plan promoted on Patagonia by TNC, ensures the maintenance of preserve areas frequented by the visiting public and coordinates multiple projects, sets deadlines and manages completion.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
The Conservation Specialist Patagonia develops, manages and advances conservation programs, plans and methods for medium to large scale geographic areas focus on Iconic place Patagonia (Chile-Argentina).
- Reporting to the Protect Land and Water Lead, they need to ensure program compliance with internal policies and external requirements.
- Performs tasks with minimal supervision and makes independent decisions based on analysis, experience and context.
- Support in the design and implementation address the conservation plan for iconic place Patagonia for Chile, especially in Iconic Place Patagonia, which takes advantage of TNC's strengths, supports the work of our partners, aligns with TNC's Shared Conservation Agenda and definitions for iconic landscapes in Chile.
- Support the process for workshop, metting and relation with national authorities for promote the Conservation Agenda and conservation action plan
- Support the restoration and conservation projects carried out by TNC in each of the Iconic Places (Patagonia)
- Technical support in the development of proposals for obtaining resources, and internal alignment to help advance the program
- Technical support for the development of innovative (financial) mechanisms for conservation
- Experience negotiating complex agreements.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree, on Natural resources engineering, forestry engineering, veterinary or equivalent profession and at least 3 years’ experience in natural resource management or similar field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience managing staff or volunteers.
- Relationship building experience to work closely with a variety of partners, i.e., media, government officials, internal scientists.
- Experience completing tasks independently with respect to timeline(s).
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience communicating with the public and/or media both in writing and verbally and graphical means in Spanish and English.
- Experience with principles of land acquisition
- Experience in training and curriculum design.
- Experience using common software applications such as Word, Excel, web browsers, etc.
- Experience using GIS software applications such as QGIS, google earth or ARCGIS and GPS device
- Experience in workshop, relation with stakeholders and logistic.
- Must have valid driver's license.
- Must live on Chile, cities Punta Arenas or Puerto Natales or Puerto Montt Chile
- Have complete COVID-19 vaccination status.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Experience on Conservation action plan and land regulation related with protection
- 3-5 years’ experience in natural resource management, similar field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability and willingness to apply science to decision-making and guide activities.
- Knowledge of ecological land management principles.
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in conservation, land management and natural resource preservation.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
AUTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with TNC’s Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." To learn more about the Auto Safety Program, visit https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/careers/recruitment/ under the FAQ section.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
To apply for job ID 52830, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on February 9th, 2023. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.