Donor Engagement Manager
The Nature Conservancy
Phoenix, AZ, United States
1 day ago
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Location open to Tucson, AZ
WHO WE ARE
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there are lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
Based in the Phoenix or Tucson, AZ area, the Donor Engagement Manager develops an integrated program focused on donors’ experiences with the organization and, in that, collaborates with fundraisers, marketing and events, conservation, and other staff to engage and acknowledge donors with the capacity to make significant philanthropic investments.
Based in the Phoenix or Tucson, AZ area, this position will develop documentation, adapt processes, and participate in the enhancement of systems and tools used by the team. The Manager will keep current on market trends and best practices in order to improve services. The Donor Engagement Manager works in close cooperation with any or all of the following: Conservancy staff, donors, volunteers, vendors, public agencies, financial institutions, and legal and accounting professionals, outside partners and consultants. They will organize and coordinate diverse activities, projecting outcomes, and implementing solutions in consultation with leadership.
The Donor Engagement Manager serves as a critical partner to fundraisers. The position reports to the Director of Development and will act self-sufficiently within broad program goals to prioritize tasks. They will demonstrate the ability to solve problems by working independently and taking initiative, exercising good judgment based on information and analysis. Currently does not supervise staff; however, may supervise volunteers, vendors/contractors; and may supervise staff in the future.
Engagement Program Oversight (40%)
- Develop and implement a strategic framework for engaging and stewarding current and prospective major donors for the Arizona chapter including: schedules of communications and events; donor acknowledgments, reporting requirements and recognitions; and individualized plans.
- Keep current on market trends and best practices in this area. Work in close cooperation with any or all of the following: Conservancy staff, donors, volunteers, and vendors.
- Serve as a liaison between marketing and philanthropy and partner with the marketing team to package existing work such as op eds and social media specifically for the donor audience.
Individualized Engagement Strategies for Current and Prospective Major Donors (20%)
- Partner highly customized engagement opportunities for donors and prospects who contribute or have the capacity to contribute above an established gift amount. Ensure that the design, recording and implementation of personalized stewardship plans are fully executed and tracked in a timely and appropriate manner.
Annual and Planned Giving Donor Stewardship (20%)
- Manage outreach and engagement activities for a broader pool of Arizona and planned giving donors for the Arizona Chapter.
Relationship Management Support and Other Duties (20%)
- Support out-the-door fundraisers, development leadership, and the State Director by providing timely engagement and outreach touch points.
- All areas of responsibility completed accurately and in a timely manner (such as expense reports, timecards, required reports, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned to support TNC’s mission and fundraising goals.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Act independently within broad program goals to prioritize tasks in the absence of specific instructions and exercise independent judgment to identify and solve problems.
- Coordinate projects with several variables, set realistic deadlines, and manage a timeline.
- Decisions may bind the organization financially or legally.
- Ensure programmatic commitments, TNC policies and procedures, financial standards, and legal requirements are met and managed for compliance.
- Financial responsibility includes working within a budget, and negotiating and contracting with vendors.
- Implement and manage new initiatives that will ensure department and organization-wide goals and strategies are achieved.
- Manage functional activity towards program’s strategic goals.
- May participate in complex negotiations.
- May supervise administrative, professional and/or volunteer staff; and contractors. Responsibility includes training and professional development.
- Travel occasionally within the Phoenix area and possibly to other parts of Arizona (Tucson, preserves, etc.); occasional travel in U.S. for retreats, training, etc. Work long and flexible hours as needed.
- Work environment involves only infrequent exposure to disagreeable elements and minor physical exertion and/or strain.
- Work is diversified and may not always fall under established practices and guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 years related experience or equivalent combination.
- Experience coordinating projects.
- Experience generating reports, and analyzing and interpreting data.
- Experience with current technology in relevant field (Microsoft platform; CRM database).
- Experience working across departments.
- Experience, coursework, or other training in principles and practices of relevant field.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Youth certified (within initial 30 days with TNC; annually thereafter).
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Ability to implement complex processes.
- Ability to use existing technology to achieve desired results.
- Demonstrated experience using diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships and motivate staff.
- Experience interpreting guidelines to achieve desired results.
- Experience supervising staff, interns and/or volunteers.
- Experience with database management.
- Knowledge of best practices and current trends in the specific field.
- Strong organization and negotiating skills, accuracy, attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Successful experience implementing strategic program goals.
- Understanding of basic accounting principles.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan to include employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work environment that is supportive of the health, well-being, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
AUTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with TNC’s Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." To learn more about the Auto Safety Program, visit https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/careers/recruitment/ under the FAQ section.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
To apply for job ID 52038, submit your current resume and a cover letter summarizing your directly related experience/education online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.