Senior Paralegal (Remote, Greater Orlando Metro Area)
The Nature Conservancy
Orlando, FL, United States
16 days ago
Orlando, Florida, USA
(Location Remote within the Greater Orlando Metro Area)
WHO WE ARE
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there are lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Senior Paralegal will assist attorneys in the Southeastern U.S. Division Legal Department in providing legal services to internal clients by providing paralegal, database, and administrative services. Duties include creation, implementation, and maintenance of systems for efficient operation of the Southeastern U.S. Division legal team that supports states within the U.S. and the Africa Region. The ideal candidate will have a strong work ethic and possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Supports and coordinates complex and/or high value real estate transactions and contracts, regulatory compliance filings, government and private grants, or other specialized legal areas.
- Maintains accurate electronic and physical files for official corporate legal files, projects, land transactions, and non-real estate contracts.
- Performs data entry and manages legal records in the Conservancy’s Legal Link database system.
- Independently drafts well-written memoranda, correspondence, and transaction documents (such as escrow instructions and deeds) and revises as necessary.
- Assists attorneys with coordinating review and approval process of real estate transactions, including:
- Assisting internal clients with preparation of project approval and supporting documentation for transactions, including routing project packages for approval at BU and Attorney level.
- Performing preliminary review of land surveys, environmental assessments, and documentation of real estate value.
- Ordering and reviewing title insurance commitments.
- Drafting closing instructions and documents.
- Preparing financial forms to ensure accurate accounting and distribution of funds at closing.
- Preparing closing memos and completing data entry in the legal database.
- Obtaining legal documents after closing and ensuring compliance with closing instructions
- Ensures legal commitments, TNC policies and procedures, and legal requirements are met and managed for compliance.
- Independently interacts and coordinates with assigned business unit staff and outside parties.
- Supervises and/or provides guidance and training to less experienced paralegals, legal support staff, and volunteers.
- May assist TNC attorneys in trainings for legal and business unit staff.
- May have significant financial responsibility, including processing check and wiring requests.
- Provides backup for other paralegals, as needed.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
With minimal supervision from a TNC attorney, the Senior Paralegal provides an advanced level of expertise to support and coordinate legal services on complex and/or high value matters for assigned business units or projects, ensuring that transactions and activities are legally sound and consistent with TNC’s mission, authority, policies, and procedures. The Senior Paralegal applies advanced knowledge and skills to serve organizational needs in a highly efficient and effective manner. They can effectively articulate relevant legal concepts and internal policies and procedures to others. They have a solid understanding of the concept of legal liability and risk management. They have a solid understanding of the concept of legal liability and risk management. Essential functions include assisting attorneys with real estate transactions, contracts, litigation management, and other projects, and maintaining legal data into the Conservancy’s Legal Link system. Duties may include managing files, drafting routine legal documents and correspondence, and database management and reporting.
- Bachelor’s degree in paralegal or legal assistant studies plus four (4) years of combined legal and administrative experience OR equivalent qualifications acquired through coursework and/or related job experience that demonstrates assumption of significant responsibilities for supporting and coordinating complex or specialized legal work.
- Experience conducting research on the Internet and in other legal resources.
- Experience with MSOffice 365 (Word, Excel and MS Teams).
- Writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Relevant legal experience (with real estate transactions, contracts, and government and private grants).
- Experience with accounting/financial issues and analysis.
- Experience working with international and cross-functional teams in a decentralized organization.
- Ability to balance numerous matters while prioritizing on a day-to-day basis.
- Experience with databases.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural experience appreciated.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan to include employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work environment that is supportive of the health, well-being, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
To apply for Job ID 51939 submit your materials (COVER LETTER and RESUME REQUIRED) online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on Monday, August 29, 2022. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.