New York, USA
This is a remote position.
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
The Nature Conservancy’s Healthy Trees, Healthy Cities (HTHC) tree health monitoring initiative seeks to protect the health of our nation’s trees, forests, and communities by creating a culture of stewardship that engages people in the care and monitoring of trees and forests in frontline communities. Visit the HTHC website for more information.
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Conservation Coordinator will provide administrative, research, project management and other general assistance to program staff working toward the achievement of protection, conservation or stewardship goals.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
The Conservation Coordinator may manage conservation data, participate in conservation planning, develop project packages, respond to inquiries from the community and maintain project records. May include collecting, assembling and analyzing various types of data, in the field or through document surveys, producing maps using GIS software and assisting in the production of reports. They may work in the field (species monitoring) or in an office setting, compiling the information collected by others.
They will co-lead efforts to transition the current HTHC mobile device technological platform (mobile device “app”) to a new technological platform created and housed within TNC (progressive web app). This will include supporting software designers/developers in the acquisition of previous, current and future users’ feedback.
The Conservation Coordinator will engage with the USDA Forest Service NYC Urban Field Station staff to 1) refine and enhance existing urban tree health assessment data collection protocols, 2) develop training and outreach materials to help existing and new users transition to use of the new platform; and 3) manage and when necessary, repair, data previously collected in the old platform for future usage. The incumbent will assist with technology development, database management, field data checks, and outreach and public-facing outreach and training material development.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, ecology, natural resources management or related field and 2 years related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience coordinating multiple projects.
- Experience handling standard business communications.
- Experience with Microsoft Access database construction and GIS software.
- Experience with tree data collection in urban environments, including strong tree identification skills.
- Experience writing scientific materials for public audiences.
- Experience working remotely and independently within assigned time frames.
- Written and oral communication skills experience.
- 2-4 years related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Multi-lingual and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Advanced degree in sustainable natural resource management, conservation, ecology or related field.
- Experience working with frontline communities to conduct tree health assessments in the urban landscape.
- Experience with field data collection using HTHC tools and training materials.
- Experience implementing urban forestry-related workforce development, particularly supervising field crews.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, with assignments sometimes coming from a number of sources and work independently.
- Strong administrative skills including attention to detail and numerical ability.
- Ability to plan, administer and record results of work-team meetings and activities.
- Website programming and design experience.
- Video and photo editing experience.
- Experience with document publication and layout (e.g., Adobe InDesign, MS Publisher).
- Ability to navigate urban environments by driving, walking and/or using public transportation
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) plan with an 8% employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports of the health and well-being of the people we employ.
This role is budgeted for $25-$27 dollars hourly.
Salary is based upon location
This is a grant funded position. The duration of this position will be 8-9 months.
To apply for job ID 52845, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.