Restoration Associate, Keweenaw Peninsula
The Nature Conservancy
Marquette, MI, United States
11 days ago
Marquette, Michigan, USA
This position will be based in the Keweenaw Peninsula, and the closest TNC field office is located in Marquette, MI
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Restoration Associate is an essential team member who performs and participates in preserve management and outreach across TNCs ownership in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and specifically in the Keweenaw Peninsula.
TNC currently holds and manages approximately 35,000 acres in Michigan’s Keweenaw Peninsula. As part of a team responsible for the effective management of our lands and waters across the state, The Restoration Associate will help ensure that TNCs holdings are effectively managed for the benefit of nature and people. The Restoration Associate will help implement management plans that address the ecological, infrastructure, and outreach elements of several different preserves. Activities will include 1) ecological restoration (primarily invasive species surveys and control, 2) infrastructure maintenance (roads, trails, signage, and other preserve infrastructure), 3) inventory and monitoring of ecological features, infrastructure, and legal requirements, and 4) public outreach. Additionally, they will assist our forest managers and consultants to ensure the land base enrolled in Michigan’s Commercial Forest Program is in compliance with the state laws of that program.
To undertake these activities, they will use GPS and geographic information systems (GIS) to identify, record and map native and non-native species and other features. The Restoration Associate will use and maintain equipment, power tools, vehicles, trailers, and GPS units. They will navigate around natural areas with map and compass and GPS. The Restoration Associate will help maintain preserve and conservation easement records. They will also assist in other projects and meetings related to TNCs protection and management efforts in the Keweenaw Peninsula as needed. They will be knowledgeable of natural resource management tools and techniques to ensure exemplary ecological condition of TNCs lands and waters.
With the deep focus on TNCs holdings, this position will be based in the Keweenaw Peninsula, and supervised out of the Marquette, MI office. This position is a temporary, 6-month hourly position, which will be compensated at $18/hour. Depending on business need and/or additional funding, there may be the possibility of a position extension.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Want to help save the planet? Through the efforts of The Nature Conservancy, 111,000 acres in Michigan have been preserved for people and nature. From the mountains to the sea, the Michigan Chapter is dedicated to conserving the natural resources that make Michigan unique. This is an exceptional career opportunity for a highly motivated, capable individual interested in joining the world’s leading conservation organization!
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE:
- Assist with ecological restoration on TNC’s lands, primarily manual or chemical control of invasive species.
- Assist with inventory and monitoring of ecological features, infrastructure, and legal requirements.
- Assist our forest managers and consultants to ensure the land base enrolled in Michigan’s Commercial Forest Program is in compliance with the state laws of that program.
- Assist with the maintenance or installation of infrastructure such as gates and barriers, signs, and other preserve management infrastructure.
- Network with diverse groups, including landowners, conservation partners, trail groups, government officials, donors, board members and the public.
- May assist or monitor work groups consisting of staff, interns, consultants, contractors and/or volunteers covering a wide geographic area.
- Engage with the public at the Keweenaw preserves and lands during their most-visited period.
- Work under minimal and/or distant supervision; may make some independent decisions based on analysis, experience and context.
- Work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- High school diploma or GED and 1 year’s training in science-related field or related experience in land management.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and maintain a good driving record.
- Experience recognizing plant and animal species.
- Experience operating various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner
- Experience and ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g. First Aid, CPR, herbicide or pesticide application).
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- 1 - 2 years’ experience in land management or related field.
- Experience working with or knowledge of natural systems.
- Knowledge of GIS, ArcGIS Online, Field Maps, Survey123 and ability to make maps.
- Ability to follow instructions from colleagues/coworkers/team members.
- PC and/or mobile device familiarity, including database knowledge or understanding.
- Knowledge of the Michigan Commercial Forest Program, Michigan’s Forestry Best Management Practices, and common forest management practices in the upper Midwest.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) plan with an 8% employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports of the health and well-being of the people we employ.
AUTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with TNC’s Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." To learn more about the Auto Safety Program, visit https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/careers/recruitment/ under the FAQ section.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
To apply for job ID 53107, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on March 26, 2023. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.