The Nature Conservancy
Louisville, KY, United States
9 days ago
Centrally located in Kentucky
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Stewardship Technician (ST) is a temporary (approximate 5 month), seasonal position (NOT PERMANENT), with full time hours that performs and participates in preserve operations, maintenance, and management on TNC preserves, managed lands, and partner lands throughout Kentucky. This position maintains preserve areas frequented by the visiting public. The ST removes exotic species and/or conducts species monitoring. The ST may assist in prescribed burns and maintain tools, equipment, and land. This position will open and close preserves to the visiting public and maintain preserve records using a database, PC, or mobile device. The ST may work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances. Requires considerable physical exertion and/or muscular strain. The position will be centrally located in Kentucky and housing may be provided for eligible candidates
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Responsibilities and scope of this position will include:
- Supervises no staff, but may help plan and direct preserve work groups, including staff or volunteers.
- May interact with visitors.
- Works under close or infrequent supervision.
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations for long periods of time in isolated settings, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Requires considerable physical exertion and/or muscular strain.
- Perform prairie and forest restoration activities including invasive species eradication using both mechanical and chemical treatments.
- Perform preserve maintenance activities including, but not limited to, boundary marking, trail maintenance/construction and fence repair.
- Maintain fire and stewardship equipment including off-road vehicles, tractors, chainsaws, and various hand tools.
- Frequent travel throughout Kentucky with multiple overnight trips.
- Makes day to day decisions as delegated by supervisor.
- Assist with other functions as assigned.
Are you looking for a career to help people and nature? Guided by science, TNC creates innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that people and nature can thrive together. We’re looking for someone who is passionate, motivated problem-solver. Come join TNC and apply today!
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- High school diploma or GED and 1 year’s training in science-related field or related experience in land management.
- Experience recognizing plant and animal species and a working knowledge of natural community types and basic plant ID skills.
- Experience operating various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g., lawn mower, chainsaw, UTV, ATV or OHV, two-way radio, or similar equipment).
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Experience using pesticides
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g., First Aid, CPR, herbicide, or pesticide application).
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- 1 - 2 years’ experience in land management or related field.
- Experience working with or knowledge of natural systems.
- Ability to obtain driver’s license and maintain a good driving record.
- Ability to follow instructions from colleagues/coworkers/team members.
- PC and/or mobile device familiarity, including database knowledge or understanding.
- Firefighter Type 2 qualified following TNC’s requirements (https://www.tncfiremanual.org/FIrefighter.htm)
- College degree in natural resources related field.
- Certified pesticide applicator or ability to obtain certification.
- Certified in First Aid / CPR.
- Certified all-terrain vehicle operator via ATV Safety Institute or other formal training.
- Certified completion of S-212 Wildland Fire Chainsaws through National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) course or other formal chain saw operator training.
- Experience operating chain saws, brush cutters, tractors, skid-steer.
- Experience coordinating projects and leading volunteer groups.
- Experience using GPS units, ESRI software, and the ability to read topographic maps.
- Ability to work independently and in small groups.
- Experience performing difficult physical work for extended and irregular periods under adverse conditions.
- Must be flexible, with the ability to work long hours, some weekends, and to travel frequently on short notice for extended periods.
- Experience driving trucks and loading, securing, and towing trailers.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) plan with an 8% employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports of the health and well-being of the people we employ.
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including; health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan including employer match, accrued paid time off (including annual, personal, and sick leave), life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work wellness benefits. Benefits may be subject to generally applicable eligibility, waiting period, contribution, and other requirements and conditions. Learn more about our benefits at nature.org/careers. We’re proud to offer a work-environment that is supportive of the health, wellness, and flexibility needs of the people we employ.
AUTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with the Conservancy's Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." Please see further details in the Auto Safety Program document available at www.nature.org/careers.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
To apply for job ID 53173, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.