Director of Resilient Waters
The Nature Conservancy
Kansas City, MO, United States
8 days ago
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Flexible to other locations within Missouri, USA
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Director of Resilient Waters has lead responsibility for implementing an integrated freshwater conservation program in Missouri, with emphasis on sustainable conservation of priority stream systems and watersheds. Their work includes management of on-the-ground projects in urban and rural priority watersheds and demonstration sites to conserve and restore water resources, as well as facilitation of close collaboration with public agencies and diverse partners to develop effective actions for achieving conservation goals while also meeting freshwater needs for all Missourians.
The Director of Resilient Waters:
- Positions the Conservancy’s Missouri program as a leading resource for freshwater conservation and water issues.
- Leads a of team of conservation professionals working on projects related to streambank stabilization, fish passage, floodplain enhancement, mitigation, resilient cities, stormwater, and other nature-based solutions.
- Develops key partnerships with public and private organizations, stakeholders and municipalities to achieve collaborative solutions that meet the needs of people and nature.
- Plays a leadership role in defining freshwater conservation priorities and strategies and integrating these into overall conservation goals and priorities.
- Works with state, federal, and local government entities and partners to negotiate complex and innovative solutions that conserve and protect natural communities.
- Develops innovative scientific methods, analyses, and tools to address natural system needs.
- Measures progress and adapts strategies to achieve Missouri’s water-related goals.
The Director provides leadership in fostering diversity, equity, inclusion and justice within teams, strategies, and projects; among staff and volunteers; across the organization; and with partners. They demonstrate progress by successfully creating and leading a diverse workplace culture, nurturing a safe and inclusive environment, and ensuring equitable processes and results.
Work will require in state travel, infrequent exposure to disagreeable elements, navigation of difficult terrain, and some physical exertion and/or strain.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
If you’re looking for a career where you can find meaning and purpose, be a part of the exciting work happening in Missouri! Not only will you impact conservation objectives in our beautiful state, but you’ll contribute to The Nature Conservancy’s global conservation goals! Our team consists of a dedicated group who are leading the conservation effort on multiple fronts and who expertly bring strategy and action together.
We’re looking for a passionate and motivated freshwater conservation leader who wants to make a difference and has the skills to do so. Come join TNC and apply today!
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- BA/BS and a minimum of 5 years’ experience in water resource conservation or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience managing complex or multiple projects, including staffing, workloads and finances under deadlines.
- Supervisory experience, including motivating, leading, setting objectives and managing performance.
- Experience in partnership development with non-profit partners, community groups and/or government agencies and municipalities.
- Experience influencing, developing and implementing water resource conservation and strategic plans.
- Self-motivated worker capable of being productive when working independently.
- Experience conveying compelling messages to diverse constituencies through verbal and written communications related to grant writing, donor cultivation, presentations, etc.
- Ability to develop practical applications of scientific concepts and technical innovations for conservation purposes.
- MS degree and scientific research experience preferred.
- Multi-lingual and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) plan with an 8% employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports of the health and well-being of the people we employ.
AUTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with TNC’s Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." To learn more about the Auto Safety Program, visit https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/careers/recruitment/ under the FAQ section.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
Job Code 250005 (Program Director I)
Job Family CONSER (Conservation)
Salary Grade 07
Starting salary range is $75,000-$85,000.
To apply for job ID 52424, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 10:59 PM CST on November 25, 2022. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.