Conservation Management Technician
The Nature Conservancy
Hot Springs, SD, United States
15 days ago
Hot Springs, South Dakota, USA
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The 4300-acre Whitney Preserve is located in southwest South Dakota on the eastern edge of a large, undeveloped landscape where elements of sage lands, pine forest and mixed grasslands come together. The convergence of these habitat types makes this area important for conservation. Whitney Preserve is adjacent to beautiful Cascade Springs, the largest perennial spring and one of only two warm springs found in the Black Hills. The preserve protects over two miles of Cascade Creek which supports populations of four rare plant species.
The Conservation Management Technician will assist our team with on-going conservation work, including but not limited to: monitoring and management of invasive species, thinning non-native trees, maintaining fencing for rotational grazing, monitoring the health of native plant and animal communities, and partnering with neighbors and local landowners to advance conservation. maintains tools and equipment, operates heavy machinery, and cares for both office and shop buildings.
The Conservation Management Technician will be based at the Whitney Preserve office near Hot Springs, SD.
Pay for this position is $22.00 – 24.00/hr depending on experience and includes a full benefit package. A private room in the office building with shared kitchen and bathroom is available for the person in this position. This is a new position with funding secured through June 30, 2025.
Responsibilities may include:
Land Management, 60%
- Implement preserve management plans, which may include monitoring of rare plants species and rangeland health, research, and restoration.
- Timber thinning and exotic species control
- May also manage livestock grazing rotations and assist with wildlife friendly fence construction
- Fire break construction and wildfire preparedness
- Easement monitoring
General Public Activities, 5%
- Coordinate field trips and volunteer stewardship workdays.
- Maintain public hiking trail
- Building maintenance (painting, plumbing, electrical, yard maintenance, etc.).
- Land/trail maintenance (remove fallen trees, road repair, mowing, etc.).
- Equipment maintenance (oil change on equipment, etc.).
- Accurately and timely completion of required reports and other items such as timesheet and expense reports.
- Maintain accurate preserve records using a database, PC or mobile device.
- Maintain database for monitoring information such as rare species, plant density, and
- May create and compile GIS information and databases for the Whitney Preserve
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- BA/BS/AS/Technical or vocational degree in science-related field and 1-year related experience in custodial and ecological land management or similar field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with natural systems.
- Experience in ecological land management principles.
- Experience operating and or repairing various types of equipment and machinery in a safe and efficient manner (e.g., lawn mower, chainsaw, tractor, skid steer, two-way radio, GPS device, UTV/ATV, etc.)
- Working knowledge of common software applications (e.g.; Word, Excel, Web browsers).
- Regularly lift, pull, push, move 25 lbs.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- 1 – 2 years related experience in implementing ecological land management or rangeland management strategies
- 1 – 2 years of construction or vehicle maintenance experience
- Some experience managing volunteers or entry level staff.
- Ability to recognize plant and animal species to complete preserve management activities.
- Knowledge/understanding of current trends and practices in conservation, land management and natural resource preservation/conservation or similar field.
- Ability to complete tasks independently with respect to timeline(s).
- NWCG FFT2 qualified or ability to acquire after hiring
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) plan with an 8% employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports of the health and well-being of the people we employ.
AUTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with TNC’s Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." To learn more about the Auto Safety Program, visit https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/careers/recruitment/ under the FAQ section.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
Job Family: Conservation
Job Number: 450003
Salary Grade: 4
Pay for this position is $22.00 – 24.00/hr depending on experience and includes a full benefit package.
To apply for job ID 52495, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
For position specific questions, contact Lane Ketterman via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role while committing to closing the gender pay gap and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.