Blowing Rocks Seasonal Preserve Assistant
The Nature Conservancy
Hobe Sound, FL, United States
30 days ago
Hobe Sound, Florida, USA
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Blowing Rocks Preserve Assistant is a staff member of the Florida Chapter of The Nature Conservancy’s Stewardship and Field Programs Department (SAF) and serves on SAF’s South Florida Conservation Program team. SAF is the lead department on managing the Chapter’s Center for Conservation Initiatives (CCI). The Blowing Rocks Preserve Assistant provides support in all aspects of visitor relations at CCI’s Blowing Rocks Preserve (CCI|BRP) campus spanning 73-acres on Jupiter Island, FL.
CCI|BRP is one of four flagship preserves that The Nature Conservancy’s Florida Chapter owns and operates. Originally protected for its unique rock formations and sea turtle nesting habitat, today the Preserve also serves as a model for successful coastal habitat restoration.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
The Preserve Assistant will be stationed at the beach kiosk to assist with visitor orientation, direction, and management; environmental interpretation and engagement with visitors; visitor-use area maintenance and light janitorial duties; donation collection and supporting stewardship and maintenance efforts as needed. This temporary position works 3 weekdays each week, including occasional holidays, and runs for a 16-week period from mid-January through early May 2023.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Must be available to work 3 weekdays, including occasional holidays, for a minimum of 21 hours per week.
- Staff the beach entrance kiosk and serve as the welcoming host for visitors to CCI|BRP.
- Open and close CCI|BRP on scheduled workdays.
- Share general information about CCI|BRP programs and operations, as well as information about the mission and objectives of The Nature Conservancy.
- Process cash and digital donations at CCI|BRP.
- Provide occasional staff presence in Hawley Education Center Exhibit Hall for visitor welcoming, site security, and light custodial and facility maintenance.
- Ensures that visitors follow recommended safety guidelines, procedures, and precautions.
- May be required to coordinate with law enforcement or first responders to address emergencies at CCI|BRP.
- Provide quality customer service in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with a wide range of people, including staff, public, and volunteers.
- Must have a positive attitude and enthusiasm for conservation.
- Ability to work both independently or as part of a team.
- Must be punctual and reliable.
- Must be able to work in variable weather conditions (e.g. high heat and humidity).
- Make day to day decisions as delegated by supervisor; may work under limited supervision.
- May work alongside and/or delegate tasks to CCI|BRP volunteers for events or operations.
- Lead and/or assist with public engagement, as needed.
- Other preserve and stewardship duties as assigned.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- HS Diploma and 1-year experience.
- Experience organizing files.
- Experience operating power and construction tools in a safe manner.
- Experience in Customer Service.
- Good communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Multi-cultural experience and/or multi-lingual skills appreciated.
- Experience or knowledge of natural systems, coastal ecology and surrounding natural areas.
- Experience or knowledge of surrounding geography, tourist destinations, and local cultural activities.
- Ability to complete tasks within assigned timeframes, often in the absence of supervision.
- Record keeping experience.
To apply for job ID 52488, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 EST on December 07, 2022. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role while committing to closing the gender pay gap and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.