Blowing Rocks Preserve Weekend Preserve Assistant
The Nature Conservancy
Hobe Sound, FL, United States
28 days ago
Hobe Sound, FL (USA)
WHO WE ARE
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Blowing Rocks Preserve Weekend Preserve Assistant is a staff member of the Florida Chapter of the Nature Conservancy’s Stewardship and Field Programs Department (SAF) and serves on SAF’s South Florida Conservation Program team. SAF is the lead department on managing the Chapter’s Center for Conservation Initiatives (CCI). The Blowing Rocks Preserve Assistant provides support in all aspects of visitor relations at CCI’s Blowing Rocks Preserve (CCI|BRP) campus spanning 73-acres on Jupiter Island, FL. CCI|BRP is one of four flagship preserves that The Nature Conservancy’s Florida Chapter owns and operates. Originally protected for its unique rock formations and sea turtle nesting habitat, today the Preserve also serves as a model for successful coastal habitat restoration.
The Weekend Preserve Assistant will be stationed at the beach kiosk to assist with visitor orientation, direction, and management; environmental interpretation and engagement with visitors; visitor-use area maintenance and light janitorial duties; donation collection and supporting stewardship and maintenance efforts as needed. This temporary, part-time position works every weekend (Saturday and Sunday) and some holidays and runs for a one year period with possibility for extension.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Staff the beach entrance kiosk and serve as the welcoming host for visitors to CCI|BRP.
- Must be available to work weekends, including occasional holidays, for a minimum of 14 hours per week.
- Open and close CCI|BRP on scheduled workdays.
- Share general information about CCI|BRP programs and operations, as well as information about the mission and objectives of The NatureConservancy.
- Process cash and digital donations at CCI|BRP.
- Provide occasional staff presence in Hawley Education Center Exhibit Hall for visitor welcoming, site security, and light custodial and facilitymaintenance.
- Ensures that visitors follow recommended safety guidelines, procedures, and precautions.
- May be required to coordinate with law enforcement or first responders to address emergencies at CCI|BRP.
- Provide quality customer service in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with a wide range of people, including staff, public, and volunteers.
- Must have a positive attitude and enthusiasm for conservation.
- Ability to work both independently or as part of a team.
- Must be punctual and reliable.
- Must be able to work in variable weather conditions (e.g. high heat and humidity).
- Make day to day decisions as delegated by supervisor; may work under limited supervision.
- May work alongside and/or delegate tasks to CCI|BRP volunteers for events or operations.
- Lead and/or assist with public engagement, as needed.
- Other preserve and stewardship duties as assigned.
- HS Diploma and 1-year experience.
- Experience organizing files.
- Experience operating power and construction tools in a safe manner.
- Experience in Customer Service.
- Very good communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Multi-cultural experience and/or multi-lingual skills appreciated.
- Experience or knowledge of natural systems, coastal ecology and surrounding natural areas.
- Experience or knowledge of surrounding geography, tourist destinations, and local cultural activities.
- Ability to complete tasks within assigned timeframes, often in the absence of supervision.
- Record keeping experience.
Job Family: Conservation
Job Number: 520002
Salary Grade: 1 ($14.00/hour)
To apply for job ID 51625, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on June 28, 2022. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.