Forest Restoration Spatial Data Manager
The Nature Conservancy
Flagstaff, AZ, United States
30+ days ago
Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Forest Restoration Spatial Data Manager designs and maintains centralized corporate databases, participates in conservation planning at various levels, develops methods for mapping and classifying ecosystems and data management; including developing and maintaining all documentation for data capture, utilization and management. They perform data analysis; designs and produces advanced complex queries methods and professional reports, processes spatial and other relational data sets derived from cartographic and tabular source material, provides hardware and software support, produces maps and other graphic products, produces training materials and provides trainings, and develops and maintains GIS library and/or database products library. In this role there will be deep engagement with multiple partners including the United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service, state agencies, forest operations and products industries, research institutes and non-governmental organizations. May supervise staff, interns/fellows, volunteers, vendors.
- Analyze data and design databases associated with remote sensing data, field collected data and data from corporate files; approx. 25% of time.
- Design digital tools that support data collection, interpretation and management processes; approx. 25% of time.
- Provide management and maintenance of all collected and collated data; approx. 20% of time.
- Provide hardware and software support associated with data collection methods, databases and digital tools; approx. 10% of time.
- Produce related maps, products and reports; approx. 10% of time.
- Develop training documents and provide trainings specific to data collection methods and digital tools; administrative functions (timely completion of items such as time cards; expense reports and self-evaluations): approx. 10% of time.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Do you like data, and maps but also crave contributing to conservation goals? Are you a problem solver that is detail-oriented, comfortable in the field, and can see projects through from the field installation of sensors to data visualization?
Come work with us and use the latest and greatest technology to accelerate conservation. From sensors in the field, networking, instrumentation, data visualization, and curation you will help us bring ecosystems to life through data. You will engage with local partners and researchers to problem solve technical field installations, work within a dynamic team, and do it all at an incredible place.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- MS or BS degree and certification in related field and 5 years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with ArcGIS software and ArcGIS Online Suite of tools.
- Experience in designing and maintaining a database to meet organizational needs.
- Experience in developing and managing multiple projects.
- Experience managing and supervising a team or department and administering a budget.
- Experience training individuals and groups.
- Experience using applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Web Browsers.
- Experience interpreting image analysis, complex spatial analysis, data modeling and landscape scenario analysis.
- Experience managing or supervising a team or department and administering a budget, including motivating, leading, setting objectives and managing performance for both internal and external partners
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with other parties to obtain different data sources.
- Communicating clearly via written, spoken, and graphical means in English and other relevant languages.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experiences are appreciated.
- Experience publishing databases to ArcGIS online and set up for ESRI field applications (ArcGIS Field Maps).
- Demonstrated knowledge of forestry, forestry practices and processes, and/or ecological principles.
- Geoprocessing and analysis of multiple types of spatial data.
- Fundraising experience.
- Working knowledge of current trends and practices in relevant discipline(s) and geographic region(s).
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with other parties to obtain different data sources.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) plan with an 8% employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports of the health and well-being of the people we employ.
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including; health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan including employer match, accrued paid time off (including annual, personal, and sick leave), life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work wellness benefits. Benefits may be subject to generally applicable eligibility, waiting period, contribution, and other requirements and conditions. Learn more about our benefits at nature.org/careers. We’re proud to offer a work-environment that is supportive of the health, wellness, and flexibility needs of the people we employ.
AUTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with the Conservancy's Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." Please see further details in the Auto Safety Program document available at www.nature.org/careers.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
To apply for job ID 52523, submit your cover letter and current resume online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role while committing to closing the gender pay gap and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.