Senior Attorney, Remote within the U.S. (Southern U.S. preferred)
The Nature Conservancy
Durham, NC, United States
18 days ago
Durham, North Carolina, USA
This position may be remote or hybrid and location may be negotiable within the USA (Southern U.S. preferred)
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Senior Attorney will provide legal services on complex matters to advance Conservancy priorities and appropriately manage risk for assigned programs. Ensure that transactions and activities are legally sound and consistent with the Conservancy’s mission, authority, policies and procedures. Clearly articulate complex legal concepts and options to assigned programs. The Senior Attorney is responsible for providing legal advice and support regarding matters relating to all aspects of the Conservancy’s programs for assigned business units largely within the Southern Division, but also within the larger North America Region. These matters include complex real estate transactions (such as licenses, leases, easements, purchases, and sales) and non-real estate conservation projects; legal support for the Conservancy’s engagements and relationships with large corporations; legal review of government grants and contracts; advice regarding intellectual property, marketing, tax-exempt law issues and philanthropy.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
The Senior Attorney is responsible for providing legal support for other aspects of the Conservancy’s worldwide programs and for interpreting and administering the Conservancy’s corporate policies and procedures as they apply to the Conservancy’s work. The Senior Attorney may review organizational documents, offering opinions on modifications that will enhance the organization’s position legally. This position may have supervisory responsibility for paralegals and may be asked to supervise other attorneys. This position is supervised by a Senior Attorney.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Assists in structuring projects and activities to achieve Conservancy goals most effectively.
- Reviews organizational documents and prepares and reviews contracts which may involve government grants, leases, licenses, purchases, sales, insurance, access easements, conservation easements, etc.
- Influences decision-makers in assigned programs through strong communication skills.
- Manages outside counsel effectively.
- May supervise and/or provide guidance to less experienced attorneys and/or paralegals and other support staff.
- Performs special projects as requested by department management.
- Serves as the primary legal contact for various TNC programs.
- Travel occasionally; work long or flexible hours as needed.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent and license to practice law in at least one U.S. jurisdiction.
- Seven (7) years relevant legal experience.
- Experience in real estate transactions
- Experience negotiating and completing complex transactions.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural experience appreciated.
- Experience in tax-exempt law, intellectual property, government contracts and grants, and negotiating contracts with large corporations.
- Experience managing outside counsel
- In-house experience and/or law firm experience advising sophisticated clients and/or senior management.
- Ability to cultivate the creative ideas of others to identify potential solutions to complex and less-defined problems.
- Experience training business staff on legal issues and training other legal staff in areas of expertise.
- Ability to identify process improvements to more efficiently manage legal risk for an organization.
- Experience developing, directing and managing multiple projects and implementing strategic program goals in a decentralized organization
- Accurate legal research and clear, persuasive writing skills.
- Experience supervising staff such as other attorneys, paralegals and administrative staff.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) plan with an 8% employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports of the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for Job ID 52504, submit your materials (COVER LETTER and RESUME REQUIRED) online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on December 15, 2022. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role while committing to closing the gender pay gap and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.