Conservation Writer (Hybrid)
The Nature Conservancy
Chicago, IL, United States
27 days ago
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This position is based in Chicago. May be hybrid (home/office).
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Conservation Writer writes and edits communication materials that educate, inform and inspire the public and advance conservation and fundraising goals. They provide editorial advice and expertise, oversee team/cross-departmental communication efforts, and occasionally works with outside writers and related vendors. Their written products may include newsletters, magazines, annual reports, web-site articles/stories, executive-level speeches, messaging documents, op-ed pieces, high level donor profiles, campaign collateral, video scripts, fact sheets, and presentations.
As Conservation Writer, you will:
- Research and write stories, writes/edits department pieces and features
- Track down story leads and build out story ideas through phone interviews and original reporting
- Manage projects, enforces deadlines and establishes efficient workflows
- Identify and assign articles to freelancers, as applicable
- Be responsible and accountable for meeting assigned project goals and objectives.
- Meet deadlines while producing high-quality materials
- May serve as team lead on assigned communication and/or media initiatives.
- Editing duties include proofreading, copyediting, substantive and structural editing
- Does not supervise staff but will coordinate the work of peers.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Do you care about belonging and contributing to a work community that values diversity, deep respect for others, learning, and building trust? Are you at your best when working collaboratively and celebrating the good work of our colleagues, partners, and friends? Are you looking for a career to help people and nature?
Guided by science, TNC creates innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that people and nature can thrive together. We’re looking for someone who is a passionate, motivated problem-solver. Come join TNC and apply today!
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
You have all of these:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and 5 years related experience or equivalent combination.
- Experience writing or editing one or more of the following: newsletter, magazine, annual report, web-site articles/stories, donor profiles, executive-level speeches, messaging documents, campaign collateral, video scripts, fact sheets, presentations, or equivalent.
- Experience organizing and coordinating multiple projects.
You have all or some of these:
- Multi-lingual skills appreciated.
- Multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience preferred.
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills.
- Familiarity with communication technologies and best practices.
- Knowledge and application of current and evolving trends in relevant discipline.
- Experience leading or managing projects.
- Organized with proven attention to detail.
- Experience taking complex information and translating it into inspirational and compelling content.
- You are a relationship builder and strong communicator who can work in collaboration with others.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) plan with an 8% employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports of the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for job ID 52421, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.