Silver Creek Preserve Intern
The Nature Conservancy
Bellevue, ID, United States
14 days ago
Picabo, Idaho, USA
Silver Creek Preserve
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The objective of this paid summer internship is to provide an opportunity for a high school graduate or college student to work in the field of conservation and specifically support work at the Silver Creek Preserve. The Intern will be supervised by the Preserve Manager and work with experienced Nature Conservancy staff, with the goal to provide an inspiring and meaningful experience working on conservation projects at the Preserve and in the region.
Responsibilities and Scope:
- Greet visitors and provide information at the Silver Creek Conservation and Education Center, at trailheads and along trails within the preserve
- Assist with preserve maintenance including clearing trails, repairing boardwalks, posting signs, fixing fences, cleaning fishing ramps and outhouses, and other related tasks
- Assist with developing and presenting educational programs for school and community groups
- Help organize and lead volunteers with projects on the preserve
- Assist with scientific research, habitat restoration projects, and ecological monitoring
- Assist with exotic plant species monitoring, mapping and control
- Maintain grounds and landscaping around preserve buildings and areas frequented by the visiting public
- Operate and maintain small tools and equipment
- Help with stewardship and monitoring at other TNC projects in southern Idaho as needed
- Will work under close supervision, but often expected to work independently
- Ability to function productively alone and as a member of a work team
- May require considerable physical exertion and/or muscular strain
- May require long hours working outdoors in isolated settings and present possibility of injury
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
The Silver Creek Preserve Intern will be working mostly in the field, sometimes in inclement weather conditions and sometimes as part of a team. The position will assist with public outreach, visitor services, educational programs, weed control including herbicide application, trail and facilities maintenance, restoration, biological and ecological data collection, field research, and other preserve-related activities. The internship includes 7 hours a week dedicated to the design and completion of an independent conservation-related project developed with staff support. This is a 35 hour per week position, starting in May or June and finishing in August or September of 2023. TNC can help secure summer housing, if needed.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- High school diploma and an interest in natural resources or recreation management
- Experience communicating effectively and willingness to interact with the public daily
- Experience with prioritizing, organizing, and executing each workday
- Experience with following instructions from supervisors and colleagues
- Experience and desire to perform physical work
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Experience working with youth groups or leading educational activities
- Experience working with, or knowledge of, Idaho’s natural systems
- Ability to recognize plant and animal species as required to complete conservation management activities
- Ability to operate various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g., monitoring equipment, ATV, power tools, canoe, lawn mower etc.)
- PC and iPad familiarity, experience with Microsoft Office and mapping or data collections apps
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports of the health and well-being of the people we employ.
AUTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with TNC’s Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." To learn more about the Auto Safety Program, visit https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/careers/recruitment/ under the FAQ section.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
To apply for job ID 52766, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on March, 10 2023. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.