Seasonal Preserve Technician (Barton Creek)
The Nature Conservancy
Bee Cave, TX, United States
Bee Cave, Texas, USA
Bee Cave, TX and Barton Creek Habitat Preserve. No lodging provided.
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
A 24-26-week full-time position. This position will be based at the Barton Creek Habitat Preserve in Bee Cave, TX. Work will be conducted on TNC and partner properties primarily in the central Texas and Texas Hill Country areas with the expectation of periodic travel for work operations in other areas of the state.
The employee will be expected to:
- Assist with preserve management and habitat restoration practices;
- Learn and implement local plant and animal management techniques;
- Assist with prescribed fire preparation and implementation;
- Become familiar with and operate various equipment and machinery;
- Work with TNC staff, partner organizations, and volunteers to accomplish restoration and stewardship objectives;
- Assist in improving and maintaining preserve facilities.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for a career to help people and nature? Guided by science, TNC creates innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that people and nature can thrive together. We’re looking for someone who is passionate, motivated problem-solver. Come join TNC and apply today!
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- High school diploma or GED and 1 year’s training in science-related field or related experience in land management.
- Experience recognizing plant and animal species.
- Experience operating various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g. Lawn mower, chainsaw, UTV, ATV or OHV, two-way radio, or similar equipment). Experience working in a team environment.
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g. National Wildfire Coordinating Group FFT2 or higher https://www.nwcg.gov/positions/fft2/position-ipd, First Aid, CPR, herbicide or pesticide application).
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- 1 - 2 years’ experience in land management or related field.
- Experience working with or knowledge of natural systems.
- Ability to obtain driver’s license and maintain a good driving record.
- Specialized experience with plant and animal species to complete preserve management activities. (e.g.: ISA arborist, etc)
- Ability to operate various types of mechanized equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g.; farm tractor, skid-steer loader, off-road vehicles, etc.).
- Ability to follow instructions from colleagues/coworkers/team members.
- PC and/or mobile device familiarity, including database knowledge or understanding.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) plan with an 8% employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports of the health and well-being of the people we employ.
AUTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with TNC’s Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." To learn more about the Auto Safety Program, visit https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/careers/recruitment/ under the FAQ section.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
To apply for job ID 52153, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.