Sustainable Debt Associate, NatureVest (Arlington, VA or NYC)
The Nature Conservancy
Arlington, VA, United States
19 days ago
Arlington, Virginia, USA
This position is based primarily in the Arlington, VA or New York city TNC office, with some flexibility to work from home
WHO WE ARE
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
NatureVest, TNC’s impact investment unit, is part of its Impact Finance & Markets (IFM) division. NatureVest’s mission is to create and transact investable deals that deliver conservation results and financial returns for investors. Our vision is based on the conviction that capital markets, businesses and governments must invest in nature as the long-term capital stock of a sustainable, equitable and more efficient economy. To achieve our mission, we source and structure investment products that support TNC’s global strategies, raise capital for these investments, and share our knowledge and experience with the investment and conservation communities to amplify our efforts in this emerging area. To learn more, visit: www.naturevesttnc.org.
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Sustainable Debt Team (part of Impact Finance and Markets Division) collaborates with TNC’s global conservation teams and country offices to help achieve TNC’s 2030 goals by structuring and implementing sovereign debt solutions that generate new funding for conservation and enable governments to make and achieve ambitious conservation policy commitments, such as in the 2021 Blue Bond in Belize.
The Sustainable Debt Associate will be a core member on multidisciplinary transaction deal teams working to develop and implement sovereign debt transactions focused on conservation outcomes. They will engage in all aspects of deal origination, structuring, and negotiation, as well as internal approvals, capital raising, and investor relations. Key responsibilities shall also include developing flexible and transparent financial models (including the incorporation of credit enhancements and blended finance), performing due diligence and risk assessments, developing internal and external information memoranda, and structuring and closing deals. The initial focus of the position will be to support a senior transaction lead and contribute to the entire deal development and closing process, with the aim of eventually taking ownership over specific transactions with Director or Managing Director oversight.
The Sustainable Debt Associate will report to the Managing Director, Sustainable Debt in NatureVest. Eligible locations for this position are Arlington, VA, USA or New York, NY. TNC will consider requests for temporary work from other US locations until an orderly move to one of the two hubs can be arranged. No visa sponsorship requests will be considered for this position. Candidates should be available to start immediately upon completion of hiring process.
This is the more junior of two similar positions being hired on the Sustainable Debt Team. Please review the minimum qualifications below. If you exceed the minimum qualifications for this position but are still interested in joining the team, please refer to the Sustainable Debt Director position (Job Number: 51663).
The Sustainable Debt Associate will be involved with Sustainable Debt transactions from initial scoping to final negotiations and financial close. They will play a key role in meeting TNC’s strategic priorities through sustainable debt transactions with emerging market sovereign partners. The Associate will collaborate with staff across The Nature Conservancy, including Sustainable Debt Team Directors and Project Managers, Regional and Country Directors, Global Protect and other central teams, government relations associates, lead scientists, and senior management, as well as partner organizations, such as multilateral and bilateral institutions, capital market investors, commercial lenders, and national governments. The Associate will bring sophisticated business, financial, credit, and economic analysis, and structured finance expertise, including financial modeling, pitch deck creation, credit/information and internal approval memorandum drafting experience, due diligence, deal structuring, and negotiation skills to the design and implementation of this work. They will approach all work with a spirit of collaboration and respect for colleagues and partners across geographies, cultures, and subject matter expertise.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Implements and manages the origination and closing of multiple new and existing sovereign debt transactions (each expected to be $100+ MM) with oversight of Sustainable Debt Directors.
- Develops, audits, and maintains financial models.
- Develops content for internal and external audiences, including drafting pitch decks and approval and information memos.
- Supports communications and relationship management with financial institutions, credit enhancers and other external partners.
- Performs due diligence and risk assessments.
- Travel associated with this position may be up to 40% of the time, likely lower in the beginning.
- Works collaboratively with staff from Global Protect, regional/ country staff, Global Science, Government Relations and IFM/NatureVest to ensure the programmatic work is strategically aligned and well-integrated across the organization.
- Participates in negotiations of complex, high profile or sensitive agreements associated with the transactions.
- Acts independently and exercise independent judgment to identify and solve complex problems.
- Ensures programmatic commitments, TNC policies and procedures, financial standards and legal requirements are met and managed for compliance.
- Bachelor's degree and 5 years’ experience in a private sector environment, such as investment or commercial banking, debt investment management, or consulting or with a leading conservation organization or government/multilateral entity, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience developing and implementing complex projects and strategic initiatives in an unstructured environment.
- Experience working with diverse groups in a matrixed environment.
- Must have played at least a supporting role in debt capital markets or related deal origination.
- Experience negotiating complex legal agreements from a business/financial perspective.
- Multi-lingual skills (Spanish, Portuguese, or French) and/or multi-cultural experience.
- Strong team player who can build relationships and work collaboratively across the organization and with Conservancy partners.
- Experience working with governments, multilateral/bilateral institutions, and debt capital markets/commercial banks.
- Outstanding analytical and project management capabilities.
- Superior written and oral communications.
- International work experience desirable.
- MBA or similar degree with significant coursework in finance or economics.
- Experience working with and within globally diverse teams, preferably on financial transactions.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan to include employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work environment that is supportive of the health, well-being, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
To apply for job ID 51662, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.