Sr. Director, Infrastructure, Operations & Systems (Location Flexible)
The Nature Conservancy
Arlington, VA, United States
26 days ago
Arlington, Virginia, USA
The location is flexible within the United States.
WHO WE ARE
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there are lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Sr. Director of Infrastructure, Operations & Systems (Sr. Director) is responsible for directing all aspects of a department consisting of multiple strategic teams within an IT program and providing leadership of organization-wide initiatives in support of IT.
They establish vision for areas of responsibility, identifies key challenges, develops and synthesizes a plan of action and delivers targeted outcomes. The Sr. Director creates designs and directs the implementation of major strategic initiatives. They may be ultimately accountable for creating an environment where IT projects can be successful in achieving their established goals. They make strategic decisions and work with Senior Managers and the Executive Leadership Team to determine departmental direction. They supervise multiple IT Program Directors and provides leadership to establish and maintain efficient and effective processes amongst their units to achieve success. They are responsible for financial management of major systems upgrades or replacements including setting the budget and communicating the budget status. They may travel frequently and work long hours and weekends and their work may involve minor physical exertion and/or strain.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
We’re looking for someone with strong experience in leading a diverse, multi-disciplinary Information Technology team! The ideal candidate should have exceptional communication and collaboration skills and experience managing a geographically dispersed team. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the ongoing mission of conservation by directing and shaping the work of our IT team.
The Sr. Director Infrastructure, Operations and Systems (Sr. Director) is responsible for leading the following key functions and teams within the IT organization and reports to the Chief Information Officer and is a member of the IT leadership Team:
- Enterprise Networks: provides network, telephony, local data storage and ISP provisioning services to TNC’s Wide Area Network connected offices as well as the core networking components in both the Arlington and Chicago data centers
- Enterprise Platforms: provides support for TNC’s collaboration platforms and standards, Active Directory, single sign-on and identity platforms, desktop standards (hardware and software), asset management, and software deployment. The team supports systems located both in-house in our data centers and hosted on Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure cloud services
- Enterprise Systems: provides systems administration and engineering for TNC’s data center infrastructure and internally hosted systems and cloud operations for cloud hosted systems
- Enterprise Databases: provides database administration support for TNC’s data center infrastructure and internally hosted systems and for cloud hosted systems
- Enterprise Production Operations: provides IT services to ensure that data and code moving in and out of TNC’s core systems is ready for production implementation
The Sr. Director will drive the evolution of these functions as part of our IT Future State Vision and Roadmap and the Cloud, Data, Technology/Tools and People Enablement Strategies to achieve the vision over the next 3-5 years.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, Project Management or related field and 10 years of experience in, Information Systems and/or IT service. delivery operations or equivalent relevant work experience.
- 7 years of supervisory experience leading and collaborating with business and technical domain experts.
- 7 years of experience managing and supervising an IT service delivery function or team.
- Data center operations and cloud migration experience (AWS preferred).
- Knowledge of Agile, Continuous Integration & Delivery and DevSecOps practices.
- Expertise on Cloud VM, Containerization, Orchestration tooling and Server technologies, including management of services across a hybrid-cloud environment.
- Experience in infrastructure operational support including having exposure to public cloud services and technologies.
- Experience with supporting software-as-a-service (SaaS), platform-as-a-service (PaaS), and infrastructure-as-a-service(IaaS) applications.
- Architectural understanding of AWS (preferred) or Azure and are familiar with cloud native or serverless design patterns and DevSecOps principles (Infrastructure as Code).
- Hands on experience providing day to day public cloud operations (AWS preferred).
- Experience with high-availability and disaster recovery implementations through CI/CD and DevSecOps.
- Ability to lead the development of resilient, high-performing platforms that process significant data loads while adhering to data privacy and security practices.
- Results oriented, get things done leader with a history of success and the desire to help an organization evolve and grow.
- Strong leadership skills with a bias towards Servant Leadership.
- Excellent written, visual, and oral communication skills, ability to clearly and succinctly communicate with key business partners, including senior executives.
- Excellent collaboration and facilitation skills including the ability to bring together various teams and resources to deliver results and possesses an understanding of how to utilize emotional intelligence when navigating the complexities of the position.
- Experience driving discussions with senior management regarding trade-offs, best practices, and risk mitigation.
- Ability to foster an environment of creativity, innovation, and professional growth.
- Experience managing annual budget planning activities and managing to those established budgets
- Experience managing vendors/consultants including procurement, management, oversight and compliance.
- Proven “Big Picture” thinking and mindset that focused on the most important outcomes
- The ability to work effectively with ambiguity and create solutions to complex problems with a strong results orientation
- Ability to make and own tough decisions that may go against others’ opinions but are in the best interest of employees and TNC.
- Motivate people to excel and to hold themselves and each other accountable in accordance with TNC’s values and ethics
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Strong dedication to the development of customer-centric standards and solutions.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan to include employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work environment that is supportive of the health, well-being, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
To apply for job ID 51853, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.