Senior Web Developer (Remote)
The Nature Conservancy
Arlington, VA, United States
2 days ago
Arlington, Virginia, USA
Location is flexible. The selected candidate should anticipate a need to develop modes of working with a core team located in North America time zones. May be hybrid (home/office) or fully remote.
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
We are looking for a Senior Web Developer to join TNC’s dynamic Marketing and Communications division. They will be part of our Global Digital team and report to the Digital Director. The Senior Web Developer acts as a development lead in all functions of the web development life cycle using their expert technical knowledge, and supports the function of complex Digital Marketing applications.
The Senior Web Developer participates in all functions of development life cycle utilizing TNC’s basic project management discipline using their expert technical knowledge in support of Marketing and Communications. They support functions of large and highly complex Digital Marketing applications. They design and develop new, complex technology solutions according to system requirements following TNC’s methodology and development best practices. The Senior Web Developer manages and is responsible for the growth of a team of Web Developers who are responsible for managing, maintaining and enhancing integrations and front end applications of Digital Marketing’s Web Systems. Some travel may be required. Work hours should facilitate collaborating with and managing staff based in North American time zones.
As Senior Web Developer, you will:
- Analyze and document end-user and technology-user business requirements for marketing technology projects with wide range of complexity at varying levels of impact on organization-wide initiatives.
- Design and develop new, complex technology solutions according to system requirements following TNC methodology and development best practices.
- Act as lead technologist on digital projects related to application upgrades, conversions, and modifications. Perform tasks assigned as required to complete project including design, development, running specific programs, generating reports, and analyzing results.
- Provide support for production problems as assigned.
- Act as quality assurance analyst to conduct peer reviews and validate developer work done for complex systems before their release to production in all phases of the project life cycle.
- Act as technology lead on complex and loosely defined projects. Develop accurate project plans with realistic estimations and provide technical expertise to team members and users to help resolve complex project-related problems.
- Assist technical support staff, Project Managers, and users as needed by providing support for applications including diagnosing complex problems requiring extensive analysis and troubleshooting. Design and implement solutions for corrective action in consultation with user community.
- Assist with the definition of data standards in compliance with IT best practices that will facilitate integration between systems within marketing.
- Assist lead member of a center of excellence to acquire, maintain, expand, and convey knowledge of relevant technologies and businesses supported and serve as a mentor to other team members. Attend and possibly conduct training classes to maintain knowledge base of current technology. Review technical publications on pertinent topics.
- Manage a team of Web Developers responsible for managing, maintaining and enhancing the integrations and front-end applications of Digital Marketing’s Web Systems.
- Responsible for leading the implementation of Web Accessibility principles and fixes across the global suite of websites at TNC
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
We’re looking for an energetic, self-motivated, and dynamic team-oriented Developer with the ability to lead technology application projects. You’ll display solid technical knowledge alongside sharp project management skills. You have experience leading and supporting the technical aspects of multiple projects. In addition, you are able to execute and lead all phases of design and to proactively identify and resolve issues that impact an overall implementation effort.
Come join TNC and contribute to our ambitious and rewarding mission!
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 7 years of experience in Information Technology field including 6 years of recent relevant experience with full life-cycle technology application development.
- Experience with a specific database concept, application and/or programming tool set.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Working knowledge of AWS services or Linux/Unix administration a plus.
- Ability to proactively identify and resolve issues that impact the overall implementation effort.
- Knowledge of Email, Payment Processor, CMS and eCRM web applications.
- Experience installing and maintaining web analytics code
- Experience analyzing complex system-wide technical specifications and interfaces
- Experience cultivating and managing client/customer relationships.
- Experience managing staff
- Experience leading or supporting the technical aspects of multiple projects.
- Experience using ticketing system to manage staff workload, priorities and deadlines.
- Experience with Web Accessibility standards and the back-end coding to maintain and fix
- Experience debugging applications programs, and producing user and technical documentation.
- Trained in and familiar with Agile project management principles
- Experience in a global organization.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for job ID 52770, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.