Senior Advisor, Climate (Location Flexible)
The Nature Conservancy
Arlington, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Arlington, Virginia, USA
This position is flexible to all locations where TNC has an established office location. No relocation, visa, or immigration assistance is available.
WHO WE ARE
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there are lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Nature Conservancy understands the critical role of investments, corporate practices, and markets in solving the dual crises of climate change and biodiversity loss. The Conservancy has established the Impact Finance & Markets division, bringing together talent from across the organization to shape direction of investment, corporate practices, and markets around the world. The Senior Advisor, Climate will provide technical and scientific support and leadership as a subject matter expert on corporate action on climate and related accounting and reporting standards. The position will report to the managing director of the Center for Sustainability Science, working in close coordination with TNC’s Climate, Carbon Markets, Corporate Engagement, and Policy teams.
The Senior Advisor, Climate will provide technical and strategic support and leadership on influencing private sector action on climate. This will include representing TNC on voluntary corporate accounting and reporting standards efforts. They will help design broader TNC corporate and finance strategies and incentives to advance decarbonization of the private sector, including those focused on forestry and the land sector – helping ensure the practicality and credibility of these efforts.
Activities will include designing metrics and tools to drive better climate and environmental outcomes, providing scientific input and review in the design of collaborations with the private sector, researching and speaking to complex and controversial issues (e.g. regulatory incentives and restrictions, trade-offs between desired outcomes, etc.), and brainstorming and creative thinking around novel opportunities in climate and decarbonization. This position requires critical thinking skills and being able to quickly research emerging issues. This position will also require excellent communication and collaboration skills. The Advisor will work with teams across the Conservancy, including other scientists and conservation staff, as well as engaging in a number of external partnerships.
Location for this position is flexible for countries where TNC has an established office. No relocation, visa, or immigration assistance is available.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Represent TNC in external corporate voluntary standard-setting efforts and inform TNC’s strategies on corporate climate action.
- Support climate strategy objectives by working in a complex matrix organization environment.
- Provide science and technical support and leadership on work related to corporate climate action.
- Translate complex scientific issues into clear and compelling practical recommendations.
- Provide science input, modeling, and analysis to ensure projects are built on a credible technical basis.
- For challenging issues with complex trade-offs, identify key areas of concern, research alternative approaches, make recommendations for good practices and design metrics.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Master's Degree in science-related field and 4 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced knowledge of climate science and corporate sustainability best practices in climate and decarbonization, particularly related to accounting and reporting frameworks and standards (e.g., Science-Based Targets Initiative – SBTi, Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Protocol).
- Demonstrated relationship building skills, especially within the private sector.
- Experience translating and communicating technical information.
- Demonstrated team player with a growth mindset, curiosity to learn, try new approaches, and adaptively manage programs to meet evolving conditions & needs.
- Ability to diagnose complex problems and identify creative solutions.
- Multi-language skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- PhD and 1-3 years of experience also considered.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal, and graphical.
- Related experience with forests and/or forestry sector.
- Ability to operate within budget guidelines to ensure sound financial performance.
- Attention to detail.
- Commitment to the mission and values of The Nature Conservancy, although no prior experience in environmental conservation is required.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work environment that is supportive of the health, well-being, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
To apply for job ID 52013, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.