Science Learning Technology Specialist
The Nature Conservancy
Arlington, VA, United States
21 days ago
Arlington, Virginia, USA
The work location for this position is flexible within locations where The Nature Conservancy has an established office. The headquarters of TNC is located in Arlington, Virginia.
WHO WE ARE
The Nature Conservancy’s (TNC) mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube or on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
Within TNC, the mission of the Global Science Team is to ensure that TNC is a science-based organization. Our strategic initiatives advance and steward the science necessary for TNC to make evidence-based decisions to deliver outcomes towards the Conservancy’s Global Priorities; to strengthen and develop the Conservancy’s internal science community and strengthen external science partnerships; and to broaden and deepen our science communications to better support the Conservancy’s science.
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Science Learning Technology Specialist, a member of the Global Science Team, will be a core team member of Global Science’s Science Capacity Building team. This team is responsible for developing, implementing, and adaptively managing a strategy to support professional development, mentoring, coaching, and other scientific and career-related services that build the capacity and expertise of TNC’s scientists and science-related staff across the organization to achieve TNC’s 2030 Goals. They will support the team’s ability to expand its offerings and to ensure accessible and inclusive participation by diverse staff across TNC’s geographic and thematic reach.
This position will be responsible for developing and managing a Learning Management System (LMS) to support efficient and effective delivery of courses, trainings, workshops, and other offerings through the Science Capacity Building program. They will embrace user-centered design in their approach to building the LMS, and they will support monitoring, evaluation, and learning to inform iterative improvements to meet the evolving needs of the target audience with the intention of strengthening their ability to contribute to TNC’s 2030 Goals. This position will also support management of program communications, promotion, scheduling, and reporting to help ensure the success of this work and the ability of the team to achieve its science capacity building goals.
The Specialist maintains expert knowledge of the systems and resources utilized by the team, providing organization support, and designing communications related to the resources. They will analyze situations, evaluate alternatives, modify processes and practices, and implement solutions to improve effectiveness. The Specialist will keep up to date on market trends and best practices to improve services. They will serve as key team member for the enhancement of systems and tools used by the team.
This position will report to the Science Capacity Building Manager.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
The ideal candidate should have exceptional communication and collaboration skills and support the team in designing, organizing, and directing on-line training programs. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the ongoing mission of conservation by directing and shaping the work of our team! The Specialist’s key responsibilities will include:
Online Learning Platform
- Manage documentation, initiate complex processes, and serve as a key team member for the enhancement of learning systems and tools used by the team;
- Serve as a point of contact for all virtual science capacity building trainings and programs;
- Design and develop mechanisms for e-learning courses and trainings;
- Evaluate and select vendors and outside partners, as required. The Specialist will analyze situations, evaluate alternatives, modify processes and practices, and implement solutions in order to improve e-learning experience and effectiveness;
- Respond to inquiries on conservation training, specific to a function, which may be routine to fairly complex in nature;
- Assess on-line learning training needs, setting e-learning project scope, identifying required resources, and evaluating e-learning program effectiveness for early- and mid-career science staff that increases the rigor, impacts, and effectiveness of their scientific research, improves their communication skills, promotes their ability to lead conservation through new ideas, better practices, and more effective partnerships, and raises their profile in the internal and external science communities.
- Effectively communicate and network with science staff in business units across the Conservancy’s global reach (e.g., US state chapters, country programs, global programs and strategy teams);
- Support team members during the Global Science Gathering, other similar events and as requested by other internal teams (as appropriate).
- Perform duties under general supervision and established guidelines;
- Act independently on assigned tasks and exercise independent judgment based on analysis and experience, referring difficult questions to the supervisor or other appropriate staff;
- May act as a resource to others to solve problems;
- Act independently and exercise independent judgment to identify and solve complex problems; work checked through consultation and agreement with others rather than by directives of superiors; and
- Travel and work flexible hours as needed.
The location for this role is flexible where TNC is already an established entity. This position is not eligible for relocation or immigration assistance or visa sponsorship.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Master’s degree in learning technology, social science, international development or a related field and at least 4 years related experience or equivalent combination, including 2 years working on the design of classroom, training and online instructional programs;
- Experience, coursework, or other training in current and evolving trends in training, curriculum design, distance learning, and web-based design for adult learners;
- Experience coordinating administrative and logistical processes;
- Experience generating reports and interpreting data;
- Experience in business writing, editing, and proofreading;
- Experience working across teams and communicating with a wide range of people; and
- Experience working with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, Access, Power BI and PowerPoint.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experiences are appreciated;
- Degree in education, instructional design or related;
- Experience conducting learning needs analysis;
- Experience developing curricula for adult learners in non-governmental organizations or corporate settings;
- Experience with learning authoring tools and/or technologies and developing marketing materials;
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: adult learning theory, needs assessment, program evaluation, and administration or logistics planning of learning and training programs;
- Comfortable working in virtual (learning) environments;
- Understanding of the principles of adult and distance learning;
- Excellent customer service skills and focus; and
- Strong organization skills, accuracy, and attention to detail.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work-environment that is supportive of the health, wellbeing, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
To apply for job ID 52129, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.