Principal Network Engineer
The Nature Conservancy
Arlington, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Arlington, Virginia, USA
Flexible within the USA. Arlington, VA is our headquarters.
WHO WE ARE
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there are lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
This is a hands-on engineering position that manages and analyses all aspects of a large and complex enterprise network to optimize the organization’s efficiency
The Principal Network Engineer will work with members of the Enterprise Networks team and other colleagues to design, implement, manage, and support corporate data and disaster recovery center networks. This position also designs, implements, manages, and supports AWS and Azure networks.
In addition, the Principal Network Engineer is responsible for standards and support documentation for all company deployed routers, switches, firewalls and other critical devices both physical and virtual. This position is responsible for providing ongoing analysis of the network state and will be responsible for sizing the network appropriately. The Principal Network Engineer will assist the Director of Enterprise Networks with special projects requiring a high level of technical expertise, including evaluating technologies and making recommendations for improvements to network architecture and operations.
This position supervises a small number of network engineering staff and provides leadership to other team members as mentor and/or project lead. This position will need to be in the Arlington VA office periodically to perform maintenance or upgrades to network infrastructure. The position may occasionally travel and work long hours and weekends. The work may involve minor physical exertion and/or strain.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Some of the things this position will do include:
- Research, design, analyze, develop and maintain current network and system architecture to meet future business objectives: Network modeling, Network Security, Network analysis, bandwidth optimization, routing and switching and disaster recovery planning/implementation
- Perform all the critical functions associated with managing and maintaining an enterprise level Network with 150+ branch offices, production and disaster recovery core networks, and multiple cloud networks
- Responsible for designing and implementing secure network connectivity between the corporate WAN and external cloud (AWS/Azure) environments
- Manage and maintain the Palo Alto Firewall environment, including physical and virtual firewalls
- Help craft, coordinate, and execute strategic objectives, provide expert level troubleshooting, superior customer service and detailed communications to internal and external customers.
- Create and maintain system schematics, topologic drawings, and comprehensive system documentation
- Participate in infrastructure projects to further the mission of the Conservancy and to extend network functionality/performance/reliability
- Manage and configure network monitoring platforms
- Responsible for training, instruction, setting the work pace and evaluating performance of staff with network and infrastructure support responsibilities. Manages Network Architect and Engineering positions.
Do you enjoy analyzing technological trends and processes and making recommendations to provide solution-based results? We’re looking for a technical expert and team lead to grow our corporate network and support important IT initiatives. This is an exceptional career opportunity for a highly motivated, capable individual interested in joining the world’s leading conservation organization!
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in network, computer science or related technical discipline, or equivalent technical experience
- 6 years’ experience as a business professional in an IT operations field.
- Minimum Cisco CCNP Certification
- 1 year experience implementing and managing a cloud network, preferably with AWS or Azure
- 3 years experience managing Palo Alto firewalls.
- Experience with IT systems methodologies.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan to include employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work environment that is supportive of the health, well-being, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
To apply for job ID 82049, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.