The Nature Conservancy
Arlington, VA, United States
13 days ago
Arlington, Virginia, USA
This position is open to all locations in the United States, with preference to the Central United States at an established office within The Nature Conservancy. This position is open to remote work.
WHO WE ARE
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world working in more than 75 countries and territories. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive.
We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you.
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Grants Specialist provides highly specialized public awards administration and finance/accounting-related services to a department or business unit. This position reports to the Grants Services Network (GSN), Central US. The GSN provides guidance and administrative support for awards of funds to the Conservancy from United States federal, state, and local government agencies, multilateral agencies, and other national and local governments. The GSN also administers the Conservancy’s grants of funds to other entities, including those funded by a government agency, multilateral organization, other non-profit organization, private foundation, or private donor.
The Grants Specialist is directly responsible for the administration of all aspects of publicly funded awards. This includes review of proposals and budgets, agreement negotiation, set-up in central finance systems, accuracy of invoices and financial reports, and maintenance of auditable files. They work closely with award managers to ensure that the terms and conditions of agreements are met and properly documented and communicates directly with the agency contracting officers. The Grants Specialist is also directly responsible for the due diligence and administrative aspects of grants out to grantee organizations. They provide assistance to staff in their specialty area and respond to moderately complex employee/management questions and problems based on advanced knowledge of the subject area.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Administers public awards.
- Ensures programmatic commitments, TNC policies and procedures, financial standards and legal requirements are met and managed for compliance.
- Reinforces consistency inthe organization's policies and procedures and provides support and training related to award administration.
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field and 3 years' related experience or equivalent combination.
- Experience with accounting/financial issues and analysis.
- Experience using accounting and financial reporting systems.
- Technical experience with spreadsheet programs, general ledger reports and financial management tools.
- Experience, coursework or other training with U.S. Federal Uniform Guidance, state and local regulations, multilateral and international regulations, and standard contract clauses, as applicable.
- Multi-lingual skills and/or multi-cultural experience appreciated.
- Non-profit accounting experience preferred.
- Ability to manipulate, analyze and interpret data.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Experience monitoring for and ensuring compliance with organizational policy, applicable law and regulation, and finance/accounting/management best practice.
- Experience analyzing a regulatory framework and applying it to the situation at hand.
WHAT WE BRING
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan to include employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work environment that is supportive of the health, well-being, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
To apply for job ID 51187, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.