Global Managing Director Climate
The Nature Conservancy
Arlington, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Arlington, Virginia, USA
The location for this position is flexible within countries where The Nature Conservancy has an established office. Salary is based on physical working location.
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Global Managing Director, Climate, provides strategic leadership and management to the Climate Team to ensure that TNC climate change strategies and activities reflect and align with TNC’s overall 2030 Goals as they relate to the global environment. They are responsible for the efficient and effective development and execution of the organizational climate strategy to help the world mitigate emissions and adapt to climate change. As the leading spokesperson for the organization on Climate issues, the GMD represents the Conservancy internally and externally to an array of audiences on a global scale and is responsible for fundraising in the public and private sector to ensure that sufficient resources are available to accomplish the work.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC we strive to embody a philosophy of “Work that You Can Believe In” where you can feel like you are making a difference every day. We’re looking for someone with strong experience in leading a diverse, multi-disciplinary team and who has specific expertise and credibility as a leading voice on Climate Change issues.
The ideal candidate will have a strong collaborative nature, a servant leadership style, a deep understanding of climate change challenges and a strong reputation in the field. They will possess strong people management experience, the ability to make difficult decisions and the ability to understand diverse perspectives and a proponent of knowledge sharing and transformational change initiatives.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Graduate degree in Science, Business, Natural Resource Management or other relevant field and 10+ years experience including 5 years experience at an Executive level in the international conservation field, or equivalent combination.
- Experience in leading and managing a large multi-disciplinary team, including senior level professionals.
- Experience working within a network or matrixed organization with demonstrated ability to drive results.
- Experience in fundraising including cultivation of major donors.
- Demonstrated experience and work in Global Climate Change especially with how this work touches down in the global south.
- Experience in managing projects.
- Experience in evaluating and/or negotiating complex, high profile or sensitive agreements.
- Experience working within the political, social, and community structures within the environmental space and on a global, international scale.
- Experience communicating with and presenting to diverse audiences including donors, board members, employees, outside partners, or equivalent.
- Fluency in English with multi-cultural experience.
- Proven experience to engage, motivate, lead, set objectives for a team of professionals.
- Ability to foster an environment of creativity and professional growth in a complex, multi- cultural environment.
- Excellent contacts throughout the climate space on a global scale.
- Strong capacity to influence others without authority.
- Experience dealing with challenges, identifying important issues and conceiving and implementing strategic initiatives.
- Experience in systems thinking.
- Strong emotional intelligence and awareness.
- Superb communication and presentation skills; ability to persuasively convey the mission of TNC and regional programs and priorities to diverse groups, including donors, partners, Board members and others who are critical to the organization’s overall prosperity.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for Job ID 53035, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.