Freshwater Conservation Scientist
The Nature Conservancy
Arlington, VA, United States
12 days ago
Arlington, Virginia, USA
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
- Evaluate and contribute to the evidence base supporting freshwater conservation strategies, including natural, physical, and social sciences.
- Work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams in a complex matrix organization environment, including coordinating with Conservancy colleagues across local, regional, and global business units.
- Lead research and synthesis projects that guide freshwater conservation strategies, including identifying questions, building collaborations, designing analytical approaches, leading interpretation and application of results, developing communication strategies and materials, and managing project timelines and deliverables.
- Develop adaptive management plans, conceptual models and design freshwater conservation strategies.
- Administer and coordinate programs within a conservation area or program.
- Deliver tools, data, field services and training to staff and partners.
- Provide fieldwork and logistical support for research, project development and monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL).
- Design and implement experiments relative to program area.
- Review relevant proposals/reports and help develop new reports and proposals.
- May lead staff, interns or volunteers on a project basis.
- May manage a grant, contract or request for proposal.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS: Master’s degree or foreign equivalent degree in Conservation Biology or closely related field and 2 years of experience in an environmental conservation and/or restoration science field.
Qualified candidate must possess:
- 2 years experience with each of the following:
- Leading and working with cross functional teams;
- Synthesizing, interpreting, and communicating scientific information;
- Freshwater ecosystems;
- Preparing reports of findings;
- Managing complex or multiple projects; and,
- Working with international or cross-cultural teams.
- Record of at least 2 peer reviewed publications in scientific journals.
Telework 2 days per week (post Covid). Up to 25% domestic and international travel required.
LOCATION: 4245 North Fairfax Drive, Arlington, VA 22203
TO APPLY: Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Reference TNC103.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.