Director of Internal Audit (Remote within the United States)
The Nature Conservancy
Arlington, VA, United States
23 days ago
Arlington, Virginia, USA
Position may be remote across the United States.
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Director of Internal Audit is responsible for managing the activities and personnel for Internal Audit with oversight by the Chief Audit Officer.
Generally responsible for the monitoring of management controls and processes to ensure compliance with TNC policies and procedures, relevant legal and regulatory frameworks, and financial/management best practices.
The Director is a subject matter expert on Internal Audit and control evaluations, and serves as a resource to the organization, as applicable, including as an advisor to senior level staff. The position works closely with functions in Worldwide Office Finance, Legal, Ethics and Compliance, Operations, Conservation, and Safety, and with other business units as necessary for the effective functioning of Internal Audit and of the organization, including compliance with policies and procedures.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC we strive to embody a philosophy of Work that You Can Believe in where you can feel like you are making a difference every day. We’re looking for someone with strong experience in leading a diverse, multi-disciplinary team.
The ideal candidate should have exceptional communication and collaboration skills and experience designing, organizing, and directing complex projects. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the ongoing mission of conservation by directing and shaping the work of our team!
The Director of Internal Audit will:
- Partner with the Chief Audit Officer in developing and directing strategic initiatives and the budget for the Internal Audit department.
- Prepare presentations and findings provided to the Audit Committee of the Global Board of Directors and administers Committee activities including coordinating guest speakers and minute taking.
- Perform audit work and provide consulting activity on key projects.
- Provide leadership role in performing annual risk assessment activities and developing audit plan.
- Work toward meeting the strategic priorities of the program by developing and coordinating plans and related tactics and overseeing day-to-day tasks and work of professional and/or administrative staff.
- Implement and manage new initiatives and manages and implements multiple projects.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field and 7 years related work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working with computer and information management systems, Excel spreadsheets and databases for financial analysis, fiscal management, and/or financial reports.
- Experience recruiting, supervising and developing staff.
- Experience in developing, directing and implementing multiple projects.
- Experience developing budgets and performing high level financial analysis.
- Experience recommending corrective action as appropriate and acting as a consultant/advisor to senior executives.
- Experience with GAAP and not-for-profit accounting principles, practices and regulations.
- Experience working with U.S. Federal government circulars and Single Audit requirements.
- Experience preparing and interacting with Audit Committees.
- Experience leading day-to-day operations of the internal audit department.
- Professional certification as a CPA, CFE, CISA, CIA, or other related area.
- Demonstrated success in motivating and leading staff.
- Technical expert on complex accounting/financial issues.
- Experience developing and managing a budget.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and financial systems.
- Superior process and control analytical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated success in analyzing, manipulating and interpreting data, and developing, reporting and implementing solutions.
- Service oriented. Courteous, personable, tactful and experienced dealing effectively with all levels of staff.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) plan with an 8% employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports of the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for Job ID 52758, submit your materials (COVER LETTER and RESUME REUIRED) online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on Thursday, February 2, 2023. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.