Director of Cause Marketing and Brand Partnerships (Remote)
The Nature Conservancy
Arlington, VA, United States
Arlington, Virginia, USA
Location is flexible. Candidates should anticipate a need to develop modes of working with a core team located in North America time zones. May be fully remote or hybrid (home/office).
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Director of Cause Marketing and Brand Partnerships will achieve revenue and brand visibility goals by securing and executing global brand partnerships with new and existing corporate partners for TNC and its priority conservation programs around the world. The ideal candidate will identify and secure partnership opportunities (licensing, sponsorship, etc.), provide direction and leadership over a team of cause marketing professionals, and inspire conservation action for new people and places through the partnership with consumer brands.
The Director of Cause Marketing and Brand Partnerships is responsible for managing and implementing cause marketing programs that advance The Nature Conservancy’s revenue and audience reach goals. They will identify / pitch / cultivate prospects and develop marketing programs (including licensing, sponsorships, commercial co-ventures, etc.) with corporate partners.
The Director will achieve ambitious team revenue goals by securing new partnerships and renewing existing arrangements. They will develop sponsorship platforms to attract partners, and they will architect and negotiate sponsor benefits for partner programs. This role reports to our Director of North America Marketing and Communications. Occasional travel will be required.
In addition to revenue goals, the Director will expand TNC’s brand presence, global reach, and audience diversification goals through expansion into key global markets and prioritizing brands with younger and more diverse customer bases. They will partner with TNC Development, Corporate Engagement, and Workplace Giving colleagues to maximize the partnership value of existing corporate relationships.
The Director will lead a team of cause marketing professionals and will have broad management / strategic / financial oversight into the performance and direction of the team.
As Director of Cause Marketing and Brand Partnerships, you will:
- Develop and execute Cause Marketing and Brand Partnership strategy to maximize revenue, and brand visibility for TNC and its priority conservation programs around the world
- Develop prospect portfolios and initiate, solicit, and close major brand partnerships with corporations, globally.
- Hold responsibility and accountability for meeting KPIs aligned with organization and divisional strategic goals and objectives
- Develop strategies and implement programs that ensure year-over-year growth of partnership revenue and reach.
- Provide team vision and leadership to ensure effective collaboration performing to plan and priority programs/partnerships.
- Lead a team who is responsible for facilitating relationships for donor cultivation, new development opportunities, ensuring completion of donor deliverables, and reporting on successful completion of initiatives.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of cause marketing interests, staffing and trends.
- Partner closely with cross-functional teams and subject matter experts across the Marketing and Communications team to align and coordinate on partnership packaging and execution details of all partnerships.
- Designs and directs complex and diversified projects, coordinating the work of other professionals, and ensuring program accountability.
- Develops and manages budget, evaluates results and develops corrective strategies as needed.
- Decision can commit resources for programs or initiatives in a way that has organization wide impact and affects public image.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
We’re looking for a passionate, dedicated person to lead Cause Marketing and Brand Partnerships work within TNC’s Marketing and Communications Division. Systems Leadership, creativity, and the ability to effectively collaborate and influence are key in this role. Come join TNC and help us achieve our mission to Protect Nature and Preserve Life.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and minimum 10 years related work experience or an equivalent combination, including at least 3 years’ experience at a senior management level.
- Experience leading and managing a large multi-disciplinary team or complex program.
- Corporate/brand partnership experience.
- Experience in business development, prospecting, and/or pipeline management for revenue generation.
- Experience cultivating and managing strong client relationships at all levels.
- Experience fostering an environment of creativity and professional growth.
- Experience in program management, including broad financial responsibility and measuring results of strategic plans and programs.
- Multi-lingual skills appreciated.
- Multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience preferred.
- Master’s degree or extensive professional experience.
- Extensive management experience including ability to motivate, lead, set objectives, manage performance and help with conflict resolution on a large multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent oral / written / presentation skills
- Working knowledge of rules/regulations governing cause marketing programs
- Ability to communicate effectively with influential people. Ability to “read the room” and change tactics midstream.
- Highly developed interpersonal, negotiation and sales skills
- Experience developing, implementing, measuring and evaluating multifaceted strategic marketing initiatives, plans and programs.
- Proven success in building and maintaining long-term relationships with partners, vendors, board members, and senior leaders both internal and external.
- Proven ability in managing the fiduciary aspects of planning and delivery of annual budgets.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for job ID 52814, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.