Digital Advocacy Communications Manager
The Nature Conservancy
Arlington, VA, United States
26 days ago
Arlington, Virginia, USA
DC metro area preferred; other locations in the United States for candidates willing to work Eastern Time Zone hours considered
WHO WE ARE
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
Want to make a difference for the planet? Excel at digital communications and campaigns? Do you have a love for environmental policy? This may be the role for you. The Digital Advocacy Communications Manager collaborates with colleagues in policy and government relations, marketing and communications, external affairs and other divisions to facilitate campaigns, produce and collect content, and manage metrics. We’re looking for someone who is comfortable working seamlessly within a highly matrixed environment and can build collaborative relationships across departments and functions. The ideal candidate is a clear, concise communicator with a background working on issue-oriented advocacy campaigns or political campaigns and is a skilled project manager who can keep a variety of assignments moving forward simultaneously. They are creative, organized, detail-oriented, and passionate about environmental issues like conservation and climate change. These skills will be used to develop content and digital campaign strategy across web, social media and email platforms.
The Digital Advocacy Communications Manager supports engagement with members of Congress, their staff, influential constituencies, and other targeted audiences on behalf of The Nature Conservancy and its policy priorities through a variety of platforms and media, particularly social media (paid and organic), web and email. They will oversee a dynamic portfolio of digital advocacy campaigns and content of vital importance to our U.S. policy priorities. They serve as an expert on designing targeted digital campaigns and communications and can manage their rollout and measure their effectiveness. They are responsible for implementing and managing communications, advocacy campaigns and tactics as outlined in approved strategies and plans. They actively identify target audiences and devise digital and print advocacy campaign strategies at the national level. They manage a variety of platforms and tools to communicate to targeted audiences both internal and external and use a variety of tools to track and measure their effectiveness. They may develop and foster relationships with internal and external partners. As a part of our non-partisan organization, they will be comfortable understanding and communicating complex issues to audiences across the political spectrum.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Manage and serve as team lead on assigned communication initiatives, particularly those involving web, social media or other digital platforms.
- May supervise one or more team members.
- Manage assigned budget, evaluate results and develop recommendations for corrective strategies as needed.
- Responsibility and accountability for meeting project goals and objectives.
- Resolves complex issues independently within program area.
- Opportunity to act independently within program goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and a minimum 7 years’ related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience managing and implementing digital advocacy strategies and measuring results.
- Experience writing, editing and proofreading messages for targeted audiences.
- Experience cultivating and managing client relationships.
- Experience implementing and managing multiple complex projects.
- Multi-lingual skills appreciated.
- Multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience preferred.
- Experience developing digital advocacy products and managing multiple platforms.
- Experience developing, implementing and measuring communication and engagement plans/strategies.
- Excellent writing, presentation, and communication skills.
- Experience managing a budget.
- Experience developing and maintaining multiple client relationships.
- Familiarity with communication technologies and best practices, particularly digital.
- Knowledge and application of current and evolving trends in digital advocacy.
- Experience with digital advocacy campaigns, particularly political or issue advocacy campaigns
- Working understanding of environmental policy issues, particularly climate change and conservation
- Experience in a communications role with an issue advocacy organization, political campaign, communications agency or congressional office
- Experience leading or managing projects.
- Familiarity with social media platforms and management tools (including Khoros), Adobe Experience Manager, Engaging Networks or other similar technologies
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan to include employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work environment that is supportive of the health, well-being, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
The salary range for this position at our Arlington, VA headquarters is $80k - $86k. Range may vary based on geographic location.
To apply for job ID 51632, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.