Carbon Markets Assistant (location flexible)
The Nature Conservancy
Arlington, VA, United States
17 days ago
Arlington, Virginia, USA
This position may be located anywhere TNC has an office, although the United States is preferred.
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Carbon Markets Assistant plays a key role in our work to scale carbon market finance in natural climate solutions (NCS) through affecting public and corporate policy and practices. The Assistant will perform research, project coordination, and stakeholder engagement around policies and norms that directly affect carbon markets as they relate to incentivizing natural climate solutions. The Assistant will help to advise corporations on best practice engagement around carbon markets and will help to establish best practice supply and demand guidelines around governmental and corporate engagement in the voluntary carbon markets (VCM).
The Carbon Markets Assistant plans meetings, conducts research, and coordinates reports. They will also assist in conducting stakeholder outreach gauging uptake of corporate best practices in carbon markets, particularly as it relates to natural climate solutions within the voluntary carbon markets. They will help to build and participate in external networks; coordinate meetings, agendas, and presentations; and draft recommendations and reports furthering the understanding of the voluntary carbon markets.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Works within scope of TNC’s strategic goals to influence the outcome of policy and/or corporate initiatives in voluntary carbon markets (specifically to scale carbon finance for NCS at the international, country, sub-national, and local levels).
- Produces qualitative research and analysis in support of sound corporate and/or policy decisions around NCS.
- Drafts materials including presentations, memos, and other communications to convey research findings.
- Engages with corporates and other stakeholders to gauge market perceptions and trends.
- Coordinates projects with responsibility for discreet areas of work including delivering against deadlines.
- Ensures project compliance with internal policies and external requirements.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 years related work experience or equivalent combination.
- Fluency in English.
- Experience writing and editing promotional and informational material.
- Experience presenting to and communicating with internal and external audiences.
- Experience working with partners/corporations.
- Experience interacting with senior leadership in a professional manner.
- Experience with voluntary carbon markets, carbon credits, and/or natural climate solutions.
- Experience researching information from divergent sources and compiling it into a cohesive reporting structure.
- Experience with nuanced policy and financial concepts and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural experience appreciated.
- Experience coordinating complex projects in a decentralized organization, working across teams, operating units and functions to achieve optimal results.
- Experience building networks, facilitating informational sessions, increasing internal knowledge and capacity, and identifying key stakeholders.
- Experience, coursework, or other training in public policy, government relations, business, or sustainability.
- Self-starting, independent worker who can thrive in a decentralized organization with minimal oversight.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Experience in researching natural climate solution carbon credits in the voluntary carbon market (including REDD+).
- Experience tracking market trends and working with relevant networks within the voluntary carbon markets.
- Some understanding of regulatory carbon pricing schemes; both those operating today, and those planned for the future – e.g. aviation’s CORSIA.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for job ID 52735, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.