Carbon Finance Associate, NatureVest (Location flexible within 5 hrs of Eastern US Time)
The Nature Conservancy
Arlington, VA, United States
22 days ago
Arlington, VA, USA
Location flexible for countries with a TNC office, must be within 5hrs of Eastern US time. No relocation, visa, or immigration assistance is provided.
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
NatureVest is the impact investment unit of The Nature Conservancy. NatureVest’s mission is to create and transact investable deals that deliver conservation results and financial returns for investors. Our vision is based on the conviction that capital markets, businesses and governments must invest in nature as the long-term capital stock of a sustainable, equitable and more efficient economy.
The Carbon Finance Associate will primarily support the Carbon Markets Team’s Natural Climate Solutions Accelerator program by providing priority carbon projects with financial modeling, analysis, and project coordination. This will be accomplished under the oversight of NatureVest’s Sustainable Finance Advisory (SFA) team. They will also assist NatureVest SFA team leads in identifying carbon finance and other market-based interventions that advance TNC’s organizational goals. Also, they will identify, document, and keep track of sustainable finance resources (initiatives, funds, instruments etc.) that could be leveraged broadly across TNC projects – particularly Natural Climate Solutions (NCS) projects. The Carbon Finance Associate will adapt processes and implement recommended best practices to improve effectiveness. They will take on additional duties as necessary to enhance the overall work of both teams. They will keep up to date on carbon market trends and best practices in sustainable finance mechanisms, conservation, and project and asset management.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Develop cash flow models for carbon projects and analyze carbon finance transactions.
- Assist field teams with project level financial planning and annual budget development.
- Support the development of sustainable finance and market-based strategies to address investment gaps in projects.
- Maintain records of new and existing sustainable finance resources that may be suitable for TNC projects.
- Coordinate project financing approaches with project managers and other staff within partner TNC teams (global strategy teams, regions, etc.).
- Support both teams with complex deal negotiations.
- Travel and work flexible hours, as needed.
- Act independently within broad program goals to prioritize tasks in the absence of specific instructions and exercise independent judgment to identify and solve problems.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC we strive to embody a philosophy of ‘Work You Can Believe In’, where you feel like you are making a difference every day. Our division plays a critical role in helping TNC achieve our 2030 Goals and addressing climate change. NatureVest is expanding our reach across new geographies, and this position will be vital to increasing our capacity to analyze new carbon projects across the Conservancy.
The ideal candidate should have exceptional communication and collaboration skills, knowledge of financial modeling, and experience in the carbon market space (or desire to learn more about carbon markets). They will be working on a global team with colleagues in the United States, Africa, Europe, Latin America, and Asia Pacific. Ability to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders, across many different cultures, will be key to success in this position. In this position you will help TNC support field teams, influence global carbon markets, and drive needed innovations in the rapidly growing carbon markets.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field and 4 years' related experience or equivalent combination.
- Experience in developing cash flow models, analyzing project finance transactions, and/or developing project-level financial plans.
- Experience managing multiple, complex tasks.
- Commitment to the mission and values of The Nature Conservancy, although no prior experience in conservation is required.
- Multi-lingual skills and/or multi-cultural experience appreciated.
- Ability to work with all levels of staff from different academic and cultural backgrounds in a collaborative or advisory role.
- Experience interpreting guidelines to achieve desired results.
- Knowledge of carbon markets and carbon finance instruments.
- Experience working on projects that require using strong analytical skills, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- The Nature Conservancy is committed to diversity and encourages candidates with diverse and nontraditional backgrounds to apply.
- Desire to be challenged, work with limited guidance, and cultivate a more sustainable future with on your own energy and innovation.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for job ID 52515, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role while committing to closing the gender pay gap and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.