Attorney (Remote in the U.S. or in TNC Eligible International Countries)
The Nature Conservancy
Arlington, VA, United States
8 days ago
Arlington, Virginia, USA
This position may be remote or hybrid and location negotiable within the USA and in countries where TNC is registered.
Candidates who live in and are eligible to work full-time (without sponsorship from TNC) in the following countries are eligible to apply for this position: U.S., Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Colombia, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Dominican Republic, The Bahamas or Jamaica. Candidates who apply will need to have a work permit in the country for which they are applying.
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The attorney provides legal services under the direction of a more experienced TNC attorney to advance TNC priorities and appropriately manage risk.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
The attorney provides legal services for the Latin America and Caribbean (“LAC") programs, as well as some global programs, under the direction of a more experienced TNC attorney to advance TNC priorities and appropriately manage risk. They ensure that transactions and activities are legally sound and consistent with TNC’s mission, authority, policies, and procedures. The attorney clearly articulates legal concepts and options to assigned programs.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Reviews, edits, and approves legal agreements such as contracts for services, grants, leases, licenses, purchases, corporate documents (bylaws, articles of incorporation, power of attorney), etc.
- Works closely with the “LAC Contracts Team” consisting of 1-2 Senior Attorney(s) and two paralegals to collectively manage the entire agreements process for all of LAC, in close collaboration with the LAC network of Certified Contracts Specialists.
- Provides individual and group trainings to CCSs, clients, and other colleagues in the TNC Legal Department.
- Provides legal services related to TNC’s LAC operations (opening/closing branches, registering powers of attorney, opening/closing bank accounts, etc.).
- Translate legal documents and trainings between English and Spanish or Portuguese.
- Provides support to regional attorneys who are the primary legal contacts for various LAC countries.
- Assists in special projects as requested by department management (ex. corporate engagements, legal research, etc.).
- Other responsibilities as determined by the LAC Legal Team.
- Travels occasionally; works long or flexible hours as needed.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent and license to practice law in the U.S., Latin America, or the Caribbean. (Note: If law degree is from a non-U.S. country, then an LLM degree or equivalent from an international school is also required).
- Verbal and written fluency in (a) English and (b) Spanish or Portuguese.
- Experience in writing and communication skills.
- Eligible to live and work in one of our eligible countries (without sponsorship from TNC): U.S., Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Colombia, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Dominican Republic, The Bahamas, or Jamaica.
- Candidates who apply will need to have a work permit in the country for which they are applying.
- Experience working across cultures.
- Verbal and written fluency in English, Spanish, and Portuguese is desired, but not required. If candidate is fluent in Spanish, proficiency in written Portuguese is strongly preferred. If candidate is fluent in Portuguese, proficiency in written Spanish is strongly preferred.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural experience appreciated.
- Contractual and transactional work experience and experience negotiating agreements in transactions throughout Latin American and Caribbean countries and/or the U.S.
- Experience in developing, directing, and managing multiple projects and implementing strategic program goals.
- Experience drafting, proofing, and reviewing correspondence and business documents in multiple languages.
- Experience working in the Latin American/Caribbean region.
- Working knowledge of current trends in relevant discipline.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for Job ID 52503, submit your materials (COVER LETTER and RESUME REQUIRED) online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ by 11:59 PM EST on December 5, 2022. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates who live in and are eligible to work full-time (without sponsorship from TNC) in the following countries are eligible to apply for this position: U.S., Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Colombia, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Dominican Republic, The Bahamas or Jamaica. Candidates who apply will need to have a work permit in the country for which they are applying.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role while committing to closing the gender pay gap and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.