Associate Director, User Experience (Remote)
The Nature Conservancy
Arlington, VA, United States
23 days ago
Arlington, Virginia, USA
Our headquarters is located in Arlington, VA; this position is remote and may be located anywhere.
WHO WE ARE
The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there are lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
Are you an experienced strategist and leader that enjoys elevating digital products and platforms through well-informed insights? Do you understand the nuances and complexities of the user experience design process and are skilled at guiding a team through it?
The Nature Conservancy is seeking a User Experience (UX) Associate Director to shape the digital future of our organization by deepening our understanding of our audiences’ behaviors, overseeing UX design and enhancing TNC’s growing suite of digital properties to best meet their needs - integrating UX as a core practice within the Marketing and Communications division.
The Associate Director, User Experience will lead the design of world-class user experiences across TNC’s global digital properties, in support of TNC’s marketing and communication efforts. They will be responsible for the usability, accessibility, and branded experience of TNC’s flagship website, Nature.org as well as the related international domains, the enterprise email platform, the constituent engagement platform used for fundraising and advocacy, and any new digital solutions to align with core audiences’ user journeys. Using qualitative research as well as a knowledge of industry best practices, they will partner with a variety of stakeholders including Marketing Technology, Field Marketers, and Development staff to ensure that we continue to refine how our digital products serve both internal and external audiences for The Nature Conservancy. The UX Associate Director will also help the Division adopt UX as a core practice, through trainings, consultation, and support resources, driving a culture of user-centered decision-making across TNC, and ultimately better serving our supporters.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Be an expert in all stages of the UX Design process: from initial understanding of user needs to problem articulation, through design and design communication.
- Oversee and continuously evolve scalable web, email and form design libraries to ensure usability and brand consistency across platforms
- Ensure major marketing campaigns take into account UX best practices to maximize accessibility and ease of use
- Develop and scale UX discovery process for scoping new solutions
- Lead the UX discovery and design of new digital solutions
- Lead web accessibility practice to ensure any audience, regardless of disability, can interact with our digital content
- Lead optimization program in partnership with Analytics to test ideas (A/B testing, qualitative usability testing) and make data-informed design decisions
- Lead design prioritization process with Marketing Technology team to ensure ongoing improvement of our digital properties
- Proactively brainstorm and scope creative and useful solutions to serve our audiences
- Build strong, ongoing relationships with partners across the organization to help them define their audiences, design usable and useful experiences, and adopt UX into their own work, through training, consultation and education resources
- May supervise one or more administrative and professional staff that are responsible for key initiatives or programs
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and a minimum of 9 years related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience managing staff and teams.
- Experience cultivating and managing client/stakeholder relationships.
- Experience leading complex project and program/account management including financial responsibilities and measuring results of strategic plans and programs.
- Multi-lingual skills appreciated.
- Multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience preferred.
- Experience developing, directing and managing multiple projects.
- Management experience including ability to motivate, lead, set objectives, manage performance and help with conflict resolution on a multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability in planning and managing budgets.
- Degree in design-related discipline a plus: Interaction, Information or Interface design; Human-Computer Interaction; Design Planning; Graphic Design; or equivalent.
- Expertise in user-centered design methods and techniques, with a fundamental understanding of design process.
- Broad set of strategy skills and experiences across digital, brand, content, UX/UI, marketing and business consulting
- Experience leveraging qualitative and quantitative research frameworks and techniques to gain informed insights to drive creative vision and concepts
- Proficiency with design tools like Figma.
- Experience with conducting user research and operating user testing platforms. Familiar with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
- Experience working across digital interfaces with strong understanding of interactive design, information architecture, and process flows.
- Excellent communications, and presentation skills; ability to persuasively convey the mission of The Nature Conservancy to diverse groups including donors, board members and the public.
- Experience presenting to diverse audiences including some or all of the following: internal and external executives, donors, members, board members, and the public or equivalent.
- Detail-oriented, independent and well-organized with a blend of technical and conceptual skills
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan to include employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work environment that is supportive of the health, well-being, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
To apply for job ID 51870, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.