Arlington, Viginia, USA
Location is flexible anywhere in the world. Remote and hybrid options are available.
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Director of Global Media Relations and Reputation provides direction and leadership for the Global Media Relations team. They are responsible for developing, leading, implementing, and measuring global media relations strategies to drive influence and build TNC’s reputation in support of top organizational priorities, the Marketing and Communications (MAC) divisional strategy and the delivery of TNC’s 2030 Goals. They oversee reputation management and crisis communications.
The Director of Media Relations and Reputation develop and oversee the implementation of media relations strategies and earned media strategies across top-tier U.S. national and international media outlets, to support the delivery of the organization’s 2030 Goals, working in close collaboration with staff across teams and at all levels of the organization. They lead a dispersed team of public relations professionals to drive TNC’s reputation and influence with key audiences, through the placement of stories, quotes and spokespeople that highlight TNC’s projects, programs, and people to top-tier media around the world.
They are an advocate for the value of strategic earned media in support of an organization’s goals, and regularly meet with key stakeholders across TNC. They oversee the organization’s crisis communications and reputational risk functions, serving as an advisor and main spokesperson on media inquiries that may pose a reputational risk to the organization. Occasional travel is required.
As the Director of Global Media Relations and Reputation, you will:
- Designs and directs complex and diversified projects, drives collaboration, and coordinates the work of other professionals, ensuring program accountability.
- Leads team of experienced public relations professionals.
- Collaborates with executive and senior-level stakeholders to make-decisions and determine courses of action, often on highly sensitive issues and in time-limited situations.
- Leads the crisis management process and is the primary touchpoint for the executive leadership team.
- Serves as a member of the Global Marketing and Communications management team.
- Develops and manages budget, evaluates results and evolves strategies.
- Acts independently within broad program goals.
- Leads strategic initiatives through collaboration with senior level stakeholders to enhance overall performance in accordance with short and long-term objectives.
- Sets, meets, and reports against strategic goals, KPIs and objectives.
- Serve as mentor/advisor to communication and media staff throughout organization.
- Serve as point of contact for colleagues across the organization on providing guidance and counsel on key issues.
- Other related duties as assigned.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC we strive to embody a philosophy of Work that You Can Believe in where you can feel like you are making a difference every day. We’re looking for someone with strong experience in leading a diverse, multi-disciplinary team. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the ongoing mission of conservation by directing and shaping the work of our team!
The ideal candidate will have all or some of these qualifications. If you don’t have all of them, apply anyway and tell us about your skills and experience:
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication, mediation, and negotiation skills.
- Experience effectively and compassionately leading a successful team that delivers strong results.
- Experience developing and executing media relations strategies and campaigns and media trainings.
- Experience working with an extensive network of journalists.
- Multi-lingual skills appreciated.
- Multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience preferred.
- Experience working on conservation, sustainability, nonprofit or related issues.
- Master’s degree or extensive professional experience.
- Experience developing communication and engagement strategies and evaluating effectiveness of communications.
- Senior level experience in communications field.
- Familiarity with communication technologies and best practices.
- Experience and/or understanding of communication best practices at a decentralized organization.
- Extensive management experience including ability to motivate, lead, set objectives, manage performance, and help with conflict resolution on a large multi-disciplinary team.
- Proven success in building and maintaining long-term relationships with partners, vendors, board members, and senior leaders both internal and external.
- Proven ability in managing the planning and delivery of annual budgets.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and minimum 10 years related work experience or an equivalent combination, including at least 3 years’ experience at a senior management level.
- Experience developing communications, media and engagement strategies and measuring results.
- Experience cultivating and managing relationships with senior level executives, Board of Trustees, Board of Directors and/or national media contacts.
- Experience in program management, including broad financial responsibility and measuring results of strategic plans.
- Experience managing a multidisciplinary team.
- Experience fostering an environment of creativity and professional growth.
- Experience designing, directing, and implementing multiple projects.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
This position may be based in any country where TNC has an established entity, taking into consideration legal restrictions, such as non-national ratios and immigration processing times. For U.S. based applicants only, the starting pay range for this position is generally within the range of $113,000 – 163,000 for annual base salary and is based on location, qualifications, specific skills, and experience. This range only applies to candidates whose country of employment is the USA. For all other applicants, pay ranges will be in local currency, the pay range will be based on the local labor market, and not tied to the above pay range. Your geographic location will be confirmed during the recruitment and used to determine your actual pay range. Additionally, for all applicants, actual pay will fall within a range based on a variety of factors including, for example, the candidate’s qualifications, specific skills, and experience.
To apply for job ID 54614, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.