Senior Communications Manager - Contract
The Climate Group
New York City, NY, United States
30+ days ago
Climate Group is looking for Senior Communications Manager for a nine-month contract, starting immediately and ending in Spring 2024. This exciting and critical role will principally be responsible to overseeing our press and media operation for Climate Week NYC, one of the most recognized climate brands in the world, taking place in September.
Reporting to the Head of Communications, North America, this position will join a busy NYC based team and work closely with our Washington DC office as well as our London HQ. Some international travel may be required.
This is a fixed-term position ending early Spring 2024.
About the role
Climate Week NYC will celebrate its 15th year in 2023 and enjoys an enviable amount of press and media coverage both in the US, and around the world. This position will take a key role within the Climate Week NYC Communications Workstream as our US lead and be the touch point for all US based print, digital and broadcast media contacts. We work with some of the biggest global brands, influential government leaders and frontline NGO networks. Your role will be to work with the wider communications team to agree key narratives and messaging to support our media outreach and ultimately bring in coverage that raises awareness of our work.
In addition to Climate Week NYC this position will also support our press and media operation across our wider work in North America and Latin America. This will include supporting our North America and global teams in communication success across our core initiatives (RE100, EV100, SteelZero, ConcreteZero) as well as our government focused work (Under2 Coalition).
This role will make a large contribution to the ongoing development and implementation of our Communications Strategy in North America, working with the Head of Communications, Executive Director and UK based teams to grow our media and communications operation.
As a leader within the team, this person will also have a key role to play in supporting the wider team culture, mentoring more junior staff, engaging teams in our work and advising the Head of Communications and Executive Director.
This is a fast paced and exciting role where no year is the same. We are looking for someone with proven success in working with print, digital and broadcast media. As a leading climate organization, we also require someone with the experience and knowledge of the wider climate space, or ability to learn quickly.
This is a fixed-term role and would suit someone who is already established as a communications or media manager who would like to opportunity to fast track their career through the unique and high-level contacts and opportunities provided this role.
- Responsible for US-based press and media engagement, outreach and coverage for Climate Week NYC
- Overseeing press and media needs for Climate Group initiatives and activities overall in North America, with additional opportunities in LATAM
- Supporting the development and implementation of our communications strategy in North America, including acting as a mentor and advisor to junior staff
- Working closely with our UK HQ and global teams to support and advise on a range of communications and media needs across our wider work
- Advising global teams on key US stories, including Climate Group and Climate Week NYC successes, providing content for further outreach
- Act as key media contact point in North America for Climate Group and Climate Week NYC, maintaining relations with key print, digital and broadcast titles and building new relationships
- Advising and supporting on crisis communications and reputational issues, working closely with our UK HQ to support and address problems where they may arise
- Build strong relationships across our global teams and act as a key advisor to senior members of the North America team on corporate communications and related issues
- Support in advising, briefing and drafting communications on behalf of the Executive Directors, Board of Directors and other key staff as required
About The Climate Group
Climate Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion, ensuring that everyone in our team has the opportunity to thrive and excel. We welcome and encourage job applications from people of all backgrounds.
Climate Group drives climate action. Fast. Our goal is a world of net zero carbon emissions by 2050, with greater prosperity for all.
We focus on systems with the highest emissions and where our networks have the greatest opportunity to drive change. We do this by building large and influential networks and holding organizations accountable, turning their commitments into action.
We share what we achieve together to show more organizations what they could do. We are an international non-profit organization, founded in 2004, with offices in London, Amsterdam, Beijing, New Delhi and New York
This is an excellent opportunity for someone to play an integral role in supporting the largest climate event on earth. This position will work directly with a range of external groups. Therefore, the role would be suited to someone who thrives in working in a proactive environment with a confident, entrepreneurial, and positive attitude.
As a media focused role, your ability to translate internal language into successful external media messaging and storytelling is a must. Working with multiple stakeholders from a variety of sectors and at a range of levels this position requires self-awareness, confidence, and determination to deliver. In return this position will provide opportunities to succeed and grow by building the most senior connections with major international networks and publishers, as well as working at the closest level with senior government and business influencers.
- Demonstratable experience working across print, digital and broadcast media please note any application not detailing this will not be considered
- Ability to use, and learn to use, a range of software applications
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Additional languages, especially Spanish or Portuguese, would be beneficial
- Ability to work well under pressure and unsupervised
- Digitally savvy
- Well organized and detail oriented
- Strong collaborative team player able to work independently and as a self-starter in a dynamic, results-oriented, and entrepreneurial environment with tight deadlines and multiple priorities
- Exceptional time management, project management, and organizational skills
- Enthusiasm for the Climate Groups mission
We operate a hybrid working model with a combination of remote and office-based working. Our main base is in NYC, but we are willing to consider candidates in Washington, DC.
What we offer
Our people are at the heart of what we do and are our greatest asset. Youll be joining a global community of bold, ambitious doers who are committed to driving climate action fast.
This is a full-time, fixed-term position with an immediate start date, ending in early Spring, 2024.
The salary offered is $75,000-80,000 per annum, based on experience, pro-rated hourly.
In addition to the rewards, youll find from working with friendly, passionate people wholl challenge and help you grow, we offer a fantastic benefits package:
- Twenty-five vacation days per year plus long service bonus of an additional vacation day after three and six years' service
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with 3% employer contribution after six months' service
- Health and dental/vision insurance policy from first day of employment
- Commuter benefit program to use pre-tax dollars to pay for transit passes
- Hybrid and flexible working to support a healthy work/life balance
- Membership for Headspace, a mindfulness and meditation app
- Comprehensive learning and development initiatives to help you reach your full potential
How to apply
Use the 'Apply' button to apply for this vacancy.
Applications for the position should come in the form of a CV and cover letter. We will accept applications on a rolling basis until the role is filled.
The requisite eligibility criteria, or work visa to work in the US are a requirement for this position and no relocation costs with be borne by The Climate Group.