We have a great opportunity for someone who is looking to make a difference. Come and join Climate Group as a Senior Policy Officer. You will get the chance to build upon the substantial progress made by SteelZero and ConcreteZero, and support development and implementation of Climate Groups Industry System policy strategy, focusing initially on SteelZero and in the future encompassing ConcreteZero.
Our mission for SteelZero and ConcreteZero is to mobilize transformative global demand for low emission, near- and eventually net-zero steel and concrete. Driving this systemic change across the full material supply chain, we work with key decision makers across the technology, policy and investment landscape. Bold cross-sector collaboration and ambition from stakeholders is critical to decarbonising both of these industries. Clear and supportive policies must be implemented by international, national and sub-national governments.
About Climate Group
Climate Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion, ensuring that everyone in our team has the opportunity to thrive and excel. We welcome and encourage job applications from people of all backgrounds.
Climate Group drives climate action. Fast. Our goal is a world of net zero carbon emissions by 2050, with greater prosperity for all.
We focus on systems with the highest emissions and where our networks have the greatest opportunity to drive change. We do this by building large and influential networks and holding organisations accountable, turning their commitments into action.
We share what we achieve together to show more organisations what they could do. We are an international non-profit organisation, founded in 2004, with offices in London, Amsterdam, Beijing, New Delhi and New York.
About the role
The Senior Policy Officer will play an important role in the Industry System by supporting development and implementation of the policy strategy, in particular for SteelZero. It is anticipated that the remit will expand to encompass ConcreteZero in the near future.
The Senior Policy Officer will interact with Industry colleagues to provide policy and strategy support for: raising the profile and contribution of SteelZero within policy fora & debates to drive progressive decision making (within international/multilateral, national & sub-national contexts); the geographic expansion of SteelZero; communications activities; requests for inputs from organisations within the Industry ecosystem; and meeting ad-hoc needs of colleagues.
The regional SteelZero work will dovetail with other key global initiatives led by Climate Group including RE100, EP100, EV100 and the Under2 Coalition. The Senior Policy Officer will play an important role in this cross-System collaboration, especially by building close relationships with relevant Under2 colleagues with the view of developing relationships with key subnational stakeholders.
The key responsibilities will include but will not be limited to:
- Support development and implementation of the Industry policy strategy;
- Develop and lead on a number of policy activities with SteelZero members including work with members to influence public policy files;
- Conduct scoping exercises and stakeholder mapping for priority country and regional programmes with an initial focus on Korea and European markets Plan and develop content for a range of events including policy workstream sessions, roundtables and panel discussions at national, regional and multilateral events and conferences.
- Engage with SteelZero members through the Policy Workstream;
- Work with Under2 colleagues to build networks with subnational stakeholders;
- Coordinate policy engagement between SteelZero members and other stakeholders;
- Help build relationships and coordinate with organisations in the Industry ecosystem including NGOs, campaign groups and sector representatives.
- Work closely with the Senior Public Affairs Manager to develop relationships with key policy makers in target markets.
- Help deliver the Industry policy strategy aby carrying out research, engagement with stakeholders to help address internal strategy needs and funder requirements, combined with day-to-day and ad-hoc activities;
- Support other members of the Industry team by providing policy input and additional support as necessary around events, publications and communications
Industry knowledge development, research and expertise
- Develop a comprehensive grasp of the necessary policy levers to decarbonise the steel and concrete industries, as well as how such policy levers interact with financial, technological and corporate enabling factors;
- Undertake policy research and share insights with Industry colleagues.
- Provide support (primarily policy focused) for the geographic expansion of SteelZero.
- Able to contribute to project-based work
- Collaborative, shares and develops ideas with colleagues
- Takes personal responsibility for delivering actions and outcomes
- Understanding of policy mechanisms and how policy is made
- Methodical approach to learning about new sectors and systems, able to present on and discuss complex topics
- Able to maintain productive relationships with external stakeholders and partners
- Experience in international policymaking contexts
- Understanding of climate / energy / industry policy environment and/or corporate sector
- Understanding of steelmaking and concrete-making sectors
Youll be based in our London head office near Tower Bridge (SE1 2NQ), a 12-minute walk from London Bridge station and enjoy the benefits of flexible and hybrid working: 3 days in the office and 2 days from home.
As well as having excellent green credentials, our brand new open-plan workspace offers the ultimate flexibility for your working day, whether youre working collaboratively, hosting a hybrid meeting with your global colleagues, or need some focus time in an acoustic booth or at a standing desk. The building also offers a well-equipped gym, secure bike parking and showers.
Occasional international travel will be required.
What we offer
Our people are at the heart of what we do and are our greatest asset. Youll be joining a global community of bold, ambitious doers who are committed to driving climate action fast.
This is a full-time permanent position. The salary offered is £33,610 to £36,970 per annum, based on experience.
In addition to the rewards youll find from working with friendly, passionate people wholl challenge and help you grow, we offer a fantastic benefits package:
- 25 days holiday per year, plus public holidays
- Long-service holiday bonus of an additional day after three and six years service
- 10% non-contributory pension scheme after three months service
- Hybrid working
- Private medical insurance and cash plan on completion of probation
- Life assurance
- Monthly wellbeing allowance plus Headspace membership
- Paid leave for volunteering, moving house and getting married
- Season ticket loan
- Bike loan scheme
- Comprehensive learning and development initiatives to help you reach your full potential
Submit your application now using the Apply button.
Applications for this position should come in the form of a CV and one-page cover letter covering why you want to work with Climate Group and how your experience, skills and knowledge relate to the competencies outlined above.
If you need any further information, require the job advert in an accessible format, or need additional support at any stage of the recruitment process, please contact Andrew Forth, Senior Public Affairs Manager, AForth@climategroup.org.
The application process is open until filled so we welcome and encourage early applicants.
The requisite eligibility criteria, or work visa to work in the UK are a requirement for this position and no relocation and/or sponsorship costs will be borne by Climate Group.