Senior Communications Officer, London
The Climate Group
London, United Kingdom
8 days ago
Were looking for a talented and enthusiastic Senior Communications Officer to join our global communications team.
The world needs to cut global carbon emissions by half in less than 10 years. At Climate Group, were already having a major impact. Working in partnership with businesses and governments, weve helped to shift the equivalent electricity demand of a large European country to go renewable.
Businesses have a big role to play in this. Improving energy efficiency across business operations and moving to 100% renewable electricity is essential to combatting climate change. This is an exciting opportunity to join our global team in driving the communications for some of our flagship initiatives for business within our energy and built environment systems.
Climate Group drives climate action, fast. Our goal is a world of net zero carbon emissions by 2050, with greater prosperity for all.
About Climate Group
We focus on systems with the highest emissions and where our networks have the greatest opportunity to support positive change. We do this by building large and influential networks and holding organisations accountable.
We share what we achieve together to show more organisations what they could do. We are an international non-profit organisation, founded in 2004, with offices in London, Beijing Amsterdam, New Delhi and New York.
About the role
The Senior Communications Officer will play a key role in developing and implementing a communications strategy that supports the growth of our global initiatives on renewable energy (RE100) and energy efficiency (EP100).
As an adaptable self-starter, youll be proactive and entrepreneurial in all you do. Youll work well independently with minimal input from your line manager, and with others as needed. You will work to the highest quality, ensuring actions are completed on time and to a high standard, and will be experienced working in an integrated matrix structure.
Your core responsibilities will include:
Support our cross-channel communications strategy for Climate Groups flagship RE100 initiative, pushing corporates to commit to 100% renewable electricity.
- Lead on the communications for EP100, our initiative dedicated to pushing for greater energy efficiency across business operations.
- Provide high quality written communications such as press releases, briefings, speeches, articles, and comment to support our wider communications on behalf of the senior internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with the Senior Communications Manager to develop media coverage that raises the reputation and brand of initiatives in our key international markets.
- Proactively pitching communications initiatives to programme leads to support their wider goals and build up our international profile in these areas.
- Work as a key partner to initiative teams, feeding into grant applications to help build the capacity for high profile, strategic communications activities that can position Climate Group as leading the agenda in these areas.
- Ensuring the RE100 microsite is kept up to date, including blog posting, page updates and working closely with Climate Groups marketing team
- Support to the global communications team
- Playing a full team role in the promotion of Climate Group as a whole.
- Being a team brand advocate to the rest of the organisation, advising on key messaging, tone of voice, guidelines and other communications policies.
- Providing ad-hoc support to the wider team, e.g., helping on global events such as Climate Week NYC where required.
- Building excellent working relationships with senior external stakeholders from business, government and the climate sector to inform our communications and storytelling.
- Working flexible hours when required to support events and announcements across international time zones.
Experience of a sector or issues aligned with our work (e.g., climate, energy, or transport, etc) or a demonstrable desire to master issues and build knowledge in these areas.
- Communications experience with evidence of developing / executing strategy as part of a global / matrix team.
- Excellent experience of handling media, selling-in stories and being part of a wider effort to raise an organisations profile.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills including proofreading, experience in producing high quality press releases, quotes and briefings with high attention to detail.
- Strong communications project management skills.
- Strong organisational skills, with ability to multi-task in order to meet strict timelines.
- Proactive and able to work independently to deliver tasks and achieve project objectives.
- Understanding and support of the wider concept of working with business and government to tackle climate change.
- Experience of working in a membership organisation.
- Demonstrable experience of working with / for a major business.
- Experience of working in a fast-paced global environment.
- Comfortable delivering an administrative workload alongside more strategic activities.
- A good understanding of and experience leading communications activities on social media, especially Twitter and LinkedIn, with an understanding of how to grow engagement over time.
You will be based in our London head office. Were operating on a flexible and hybrid way of working in our new office based in Tower Hill (SE1 2NQ), 3 days in the office and 2 days working from home. Occasional international travel will be required.
Terms & Conditions
This is a full-time, permanent position. We offer a salary of £28,800 - £35,200 per annum (pro rata), based on experience.
In addition to the salary, the role holder will benefit from:
25 days holiday pro rata, plus public holidays
- 10% non-contributory pension scheme following three months service
- Private healthcare and Cash Plan on completion of probation
- Life Assurance
- Wellbeing allowance
- Season ticket loan
- Bike loan
- Volunteering day on completion of probation
How to apply
Use the Apply button to apply for this vacancy.
Should you require further information, please contact Nick Ringrow, Senior Communications Manager at NRingrow@climategroup.org. Applications for this position should come in the form of a CV and one page cover letter. The application process is open until July 8, 2022.
The requisite eligibility criteria, or work visa to work in the UK are a requirement for this position and no relocation and/or sponsorship costs will be borne by Climate Group.