Director of Programme and Corporate Communications, London
The Climate Group
London, United Kingdom
30+ days ago
A leading communications role in an international climate change NGO, where comms is at the heart of all we do.
We are looking for a new Director of Programme and Corporate Comms at Climate Group. This is a senior role, responsible for managing a large team helping shape and drive our impact on global energy, transport, industry systems and more. The position is responsible for our outreach to many of the worlds most influential governments and businesses. It also leads on building and protecting the profile of the whole of Climate Group with media and via other channels, overseeing our brand and growing digital marketing operation.
Our mission is to drive climate action, fast. We have transformed our capabilities over recent years including building a highly effective and talented comms team. But the world is still not reducing emissions at anything like the scale and speed required. So were looking for a leader, innovator and talented manager wholl help us step-up our influence and impact to the next level. We need someone who brings their own skills and a passion for the issues we work on. But they must also work through inspiring and enabling their own team. And theyll need to work with the whole international organisation too.
About Climate Group
Climate Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion, ensuring that everyone in our team has the opportunity to thrive and excel. We welcome and encourage job applications from people of all backgrounds.
Climate Group drives climate action. Fast. Our goal is a world of net zero carbon emissions by 2050, with greater prosperity for all.
We focus on systems with the highest emissions and where our networks have the greatest opportunity to drive change. We do this by building large and influential networks and holding organisations accountable, turning their commitments into action.
We share what we achieve together to show more organisations what they could do. We are an international non-profit organisation, founded in 2004, with offices in London, Amsterdam, Beijing, New Delhi and New York.
About the role
Opportunity to work in one of the most critical communications roles in global climate action.
Communications is integral to our work. Its a big part of how we convince business and governments to make bold commitments and join our campaigns. And we amplify the impact of those to influence markets and policy makers. Then we shout about success to drive others to take action too. Our comms work also supports our income. Its a big selling point to our funders, including our members and event sponsors we run Climate Week NYC during the UN General Assembly every year. Its the biggest international event of its kind.
Were looking for a talented comms professional to lead a multi-disciplined international team. They run our programmatic comms work, focused on the biggest systems driving climate emissions, namely energy, transport, industry and the built environment. They also have key roles in our governmental programmes, such as the Under2 Coalition of states and regions. The role also has strategic responsibility for the external profile of the organisation and our key channels through team members focused on media and digital marketing, the latter incorporating our web, social media, brand, and design operations.
This will be a challenging and highly rewarding role. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on international campaigns involving hundreds of multinationals and state and regional governments. They will be engaging with senior figures in those stakeholders. And theyll be in a unique position to use and develop the power of communications to tackle global climate change.
This is a senior strategic role in the organisation, working closely with our international management team: it is located in our London office, reporting to the Executive Director for Communications and External Affairs.
Specific areas of responsibility include:
Strategic communications to maximise the impact of our programmes
- Driving progress and innovation in how we practice communications within our systems and governmental programmes.
- Overseeing, enabling and being a great people manager to the teams undertaking the comms roles within these areas.
- Being a senior colleague and advisor with other directors and heads, contributing to their growth strategies while also seizing major opportunities and addressing challenges.
- Developing influential, inspiring comms campaigns that drive impact at the scale we need to take our full role on the climate crisis. Working as part of funding bid teams to enable this.
- Leading and inspiring a strong collaborative vision across the organisation and own team.
- Building clear strategies to support the team in the development of their work, and own capabilities and knowledge.
- Managing sophisticated resource planning and tactically making use of funding balancing needs for specialism by area with needs for discipline specialists e.g. on media, digital marketing.
Driving our corporate communications and global profile.
- Owning, developing and executing our corporate communications strategy to grow and develop the external profile of Climate Group and our work around the world.
- Being the senior media specialist for the organisation leading our media strategy and major issues handling.
- Advising and working with our CEO, other senior leaders and the Board as required.
- Delivering on our overall corporate objectives for our external positioning and standing, e.g. we wish to increasingly lead and shape agendas and better communicate the knowledge we have.
- Responsible for the financial performance of this area budget, value maximisation, opportunities to grow associated income.
- Strategic leadership and management of our international teams contribution to this area.
Oversight of our continued development of marketing and brand.
- Providing senior oversight and support to our growing digital marketing offer and team (includes web, social and brand).
- Ensuring we continue to grow our member offer, income and mission impact.
- Protecting and maximising our brand and approach, including ensuring external partner buy-in when required.
- Supporting the team in their own drive to enhance our digital marketing capabilities.
Positioning Climate Group to at the forefront of the biggest moments.
- Overseeing major communications efforts in support of major events / moments such as Climate Week NYC, UNFCCC COP conferences.
- Partnering with systems and government teams to ensure Climate Group is positioned on the biggest agendas and issues, at the right moment.
- Building own expertise on the issues we work and the audiences we engage with and driving the team to do the same.
- Driving our comms to be more insightful, standing out for its commentary and thought leadership.
- Senior level experience across a range of comms disciplines within a fast-paced environment.
- Experience of managing and developing a large multifunctional team.
- A passion for the issues we work on and a desire to be a leader in climate comms.
- Developing stand-out, integrated comms campaigns that have delivered real world impact.
- Substantial, senior level work with media broadsheet and broadcast.
- Understanding the role of comms in bigger programmes of change, and the power of collaboration with colleagues and external partners.
- Ability to bring teams together to build collective strategies.
- A strong personal commitment to quality in comms outputs and engage approaches.
- A good broad understanding of comms and marketing disciplines with a willingness to crowd-in other expertise to address knowledge gaps.
- Management of large budgets and supplier procurement
- Able to distil and communicate complex information verbally and in writing.
Experience of working internationally, particularly Europe, US, China and/or India.
- Background of working in-depth in one of the systems areas we work on or climate/sustainability.
- Understanding of matrix ways of working or experiences building project teams from across disciplines.
- Worked on major crisis communications situations with big risks to your organisation - handling of highly demanding external stakeholders in those situations.
- Additional language skills particularly in the above markets.
Youll be based in our London head office near Tower Bridge (SE1 2NQ), a 12-minute walk from London Bridge station and enjoy the benefits of flexible and hybrid working: 3 days in the office and 2 days from home.
As well as having excellent green credentials, our brand new open-plan workspace offers the ultimate flexibility for your working day, whether youre working collaboratively, hosting a hybrid meeting with your global colleagues, or need some focus time in an acoustic booth or at a standing desk. The building also offers a well-equipped gym, secure bike parking and showers.
Occasional international travel will be required.
What we offer
Our people are at the heart of what we do and are our greatest asset. Youll be joining a global community of bold, ambitious doers who are committed to driving climate action fast.
The salary offered is £70,000- £78,800 per annum, based on experience.
In addition to the rewards youll find from working with friendly, passionate people wholl challenge and help you grow, we offer a fantastic benefits package:
- 25 days holiday per year, plus public holidays
- Long-service holiday bonus of an additional day after three and six years service
- 10% non-contributory pension scheme after three months service
- Hybrid working
- Private medical insurance and cash plan on completion of probation
- Life assurance
- Monthly wellbeing allowance plus Headspace membership
- Paid leave for volunteering, moving house and getting married
- Season ticket loan
- Bike loan scheme
- Comprehensive learning and development initiatives to help you reach your full potential
Submit your application now using the Apply button.
Applications for this position should come in the form of a CV and cover letter, which should be no longer than one page and should include why you want to work with Climate Group, your relevant experience, and what strengths youll bring to the organisation.
If you need any further information, require the job advert in an accessible format, or need additional support at any stage of the recruitment process, please contact Luke Herbert, Executive Director of Communications and External Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is 26 September 2022. Well be holding interviews on a rolling basis, therefore we welcome and encourage early applications.
Help us to improve
Once youve submitted your application, we invite you to complete an anonymous demographic questionnaire, which will take no more than one minute.
Whilst its entirely optional, your contribution will make a big difference to helping us grow our diverse community.
The questionnaire is for internal purposes only and wont be linked to your application in any way.