The Climate Group
London, United Kingdom
11 days ago
Our fundraising team is growing, and we are welcoming applications for the role of Development Manager. This new position will support income generation efforts by proactively seeking out and responding to funding opportunities throughout the year.
This will be an exciting position for someone with an entrepreneurial approach, wishing to build on successes from recent years and use these to drive greater impact in the economic sectors most relevant to cut global greenhouse gas emissions.
About Climate Group
Climate Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion, ensuring that everyone in our team has the opportunity to thrive and excel. We welcome and encourage job applications from people of all backgrounds.
Climate Group drives climate action. Fast. Our goal is a world of net zero carbon emissions by 2050, with greater prosperity for all.
We focus on systems with the highest emissions and where our networks have the greatest opportunity to drive change. We do this by building large and influential networks and holding organisations accountable, turning their commitments into action.
We share what we achieve together to show more organisations what they could do. We are an international non-profit organisation, founded in 2004, with offices in London, Amsterdam, Beijing, New Delhi and New York.
About the role
Climate Group operates on a $15m annual budget. Foundations and government grants have reliably formed the largest proportion of our income in recent years. Our ambition is to build on these achievements by continuing to invest and grow this area of fundraising. Thus, key income streams under management will include a range of global charitable foundations, governments, and multilateral donor agencies. The ideal candidate will bring experience of raising funds from these organisations, and a good understanding their decision-making processes.
The position reports to the Head of Development, UK and Europe. Key internal relationships will be held at junior and senior levels, and will include immediate colleagues in the Fundraising Team, as well as project leads across multiple geographies, finance, communications, and governance departments. Working closely and proactively with these stakeholders, the Development Manager will support research and analyse opportunities, develop and monitor funder engagement plans, and lead/support proposal development processes from opportunity to award.
This role will be suited to an individual who wishes to bring this expertise to a fast-growing international organisation committed to a world of net zero greenhouse gas emissions, and who is simultaneously keen to gain further experience in fundraising, donor stewardship, and product development across a broader portfolio of funding sources and global geographies.
Proactively identify new institutional funding sources to support the implementation of the organisations core programmes and help ensure a healthy pipeline for future years
- Engage regularly with funders through varied types of communication and provide the team with updated intelligence on priority institutional donors, key funding partners, funding opportunities and funding/contract terms and conditions
- Manage proposal development processes, including development of workplans, bid writing, budgeting, coordination with different internal departments and participation in technical workshops as needed
- Collaborate with other bid writers in the development team and programme staff to develop innovative and compelling proposals that fully reflect our ambition
- Secure long-term financing for programs by writing, adapting and editing proposals and concepts (primarily at six-figure levels) for a variety of funders in collaboration with technical and finance staff
- Manage and coordinate our relations and funding opportunities for a portfolio of government donors and foundations, ensuring regular and efficient internal and external communications
- Support development of reports for selected institutional donors, ensuring consistency with funder requirements and high level of content and quality
- Support the development and/or improvement of organisational tools and processes relating to bid management and donor compliance for increased organisational efficiency and impact
Communication and collaboration
- Excellent written communication skills including the ability to translate complex, technical information into persuasive proposals
- Strong verbal communication skills including interpersonal skills, presentation skills and ability to carry out external-facing engagement
- Team player with a positive, collaborative, problem solving attitude
- Experience of funder-facing roles including responsibility for grant term negotiation
- Personal track record of securing five and six figure grants
- Strong numeracy and analytical ability, with ability to read and design complex budgets
- Logical frameworks, ability to develop and interrogate them
- Self-directed, highly organised, ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment and respond to tight deadlines
- Fluency in English
- Ability to work in the UK
- Travel ability
Familiarity with key European institutional climate and international development donors such as UK BEIS, NORAD, IKI, SIDA, Foreign Ministries
- Exposure to negotiations with funders and consortium partners
- Spanish, Dutch, German, Scandinavian, or Mandarin language skills
- Knowledge/experience of working on climate, sustainability, or the environment
- Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM system
Youll be based in our London head office near Tower Bridge (SE1 2NQ), a 12-minute walk from London Bridge station and enjoy the benefits of flexible and hybrid working: 3 days in the office and 2 days from home.
As well as having excellent green credentials, our brand new open-plan workspace offers the ultimate flexibility for your working day, whether youre working collaboratively, hosting a hybrid meeting with your global colleagues, or need some focus time in an acoustic booth or at a standing desk. The building also offers a well-equipped gym, secure bike parking and showers.
What we offer
Our people are at the heart of what we do and are our greatest asset. Youll be joining a global community of bold, ambitious doers who are committed to driving climate action fast.
This is a full-time, permanent position. The salary offered is £37,080 £41,200 per annum, based on experience.
In addition to the rewards youll find from working with friendly, passionate people wholl challenge and help you grow, we offer a fantastic benefits package:
25 days holiday per year, plus public holidays
- Long-service holiday bonus of an additional day after three and six years service
- 10% non-contributory pension scheme after three months service
- Hybrid working
- Private medical insurance and cash plan on completion of probation
- Life assurance
- Monthly wellbeing allowance plus Headspace membership
- Paid leave for volunteering, moving house and getting married
- Season ticket loan
- Bike loan scheme
- Comprehensive learning and development initiatives to help you reach your full potential
Submit your application now using the Apply button.
Applications for this position should come in the form of a CV and a one-page cover letter which should include why you want to work with Climate Group and how your experience, skills and knowledge relate to the competencies outlined above.
If you need any further information, require the job advert in an accessible format, or need additional support at any stage of the recruitment process, please contact Ruby Chorbajian, Head of Development, UK and Europe, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is 7 April 2023. Well be reviewing applications and holding interviews on a rolling basis, therefore welcome and encourage early applications and hold the right to close the advert once a suitable candidate is hired.
The requisite eligibility criteria, or work visa to work in the UK are a requirement for this position and no relocation and/or sponsorship costs will be borne by Climate Group.