This is a hugely exciting role for an experienced communications manager, media manager, or ex-media folk with a flair for corporate communications. As our Communications Manager Profile and Media, youll strengthen the international profile of Climate Group, its CEO and other key players in our organisation through your work across media and other platforms, writing op-eds, blogs and social media posts, and getting media to cover our press releases and our flagship events.
No day will be the same: one day youre drafting a speech for our CEO, the next day youre working on a press release, going through a report to find a few news-gems, or youre chasing up stories with international journalists, building out our media network along the way. And all that whilst working on the most important story of our era: the fight against climate change. Youll be on the forefront of our mission: to drive climate action, fast.
If you are a relationship builder (externally, but also internally) who can smell and sell a good news story, monitor and analyse our impact, and understand what it takes to highlight events, then this the role for you.
This is an international role, which can be based in London or Amsterdam. The below listed terms are for London location, the terms for Amsterdam location are listed under separate advert JD. Please click to apply on the advert for your preferred location.
NB: There is only one role and one candidate will be selected for this role either in Amsterdam or London.
About Climate Group
Climate Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion, ensuring that everyone in our team has the opportunity to thrive and excel. We welcome and encourage job applications from people of all backgrounds.
Climate Group drives climate action. Fast. Our goal is a world of net zero carbon emissions by 2050, with greater prosperity for all.
We focus on systems with the highest emissions and where our networks have the greatest opportunity to drive change. We do this by building large and influential networks and holding organisations accountable, turning their commitments into action.
We share what we achieve together to show more organisations what they could do. We are an international non-profit organisation, founded in 2004, with offices in London, Amsterdam, Beijing, New Delhi and New York.
About the role
The Communications Manager - Profile and Media is a central role within the Corporate Communications team, critical for our mission to drive climate action, fast. The roles main objective is to strengthen our external international media network, and ensure Climate Groups impact and presence in relevant international media in a pro-active, impactful way, always relevant, always on. The role oversees and strengthens our media monitoring and reporting.
The role is responsible for strengthening Climate Groups profile, and that of its CEO, its EMT and other key spokespeople, as key climate influencers of action takers and decision makers in business and politics. This will happen through reactive and planned moments throughout the year, especially around our flagship events and other key policy and advocacy moments. The role has a large focus on our most prominent event, Climate Week NYC.
The Communications Manager Profile and Media is central in the coordination of our media work in our campaigns, and works closely with colleagues in our Government and Policy team, our Systems (Energy, Industry, the Built Environment, Transport, and Food), our Marketing Team and with colleagues in our offices in New York, Amsterdam, New Delhi and in China. The Communications Manager Profile and Media reports to the Director of Programme and Corporate Communications.
Direct responsibilities will include but will not be limited to:
Profile and media work
- Leading and professionalising our media work and strategy, strengthening our international media relationships, our media presence and our impact.
- Strategically strengthen the profile of Climate Group, its CEO, its Board and the wider EMT in media and other profiling opportunities, ensuring we are front and centre of relevant climate debates.
- Writing op-eds, speeches, blogs, podcast content and other thought leadership pieces.
- Persistently look for media and communications opportunities to drive our profile and policy impact, in close coordination with communications colleagues in our Government and Policy team, our Systems, our Marketing team and our international offices in New York, Amsterdam, New Dehli and China.
- Monitor our external impact and reputation, and support with issues management.
Campaign related external communications
- Supporting (and sometimes driving) our external communications work around our flagship events and campaigns, ensuring we are an authoritative and inspiring voice on the challenges and solutions in the climate discussion.
- Keeping our key messages and narrative updated, and keeping them front of mind with colleagues.
- Driving original stories and campaigns in an innovative way that work across multiple communications channels, in coordination with other members of the team and/or external partners.
- Ensuring we profile members and meet the needs of funders and sponsors.
- Ensure stakeholders in the wider organisation are kept up to date on our impact.
- Working closely with other teams to increase the impact and engagement of international events such as Climate Week NYC, the US Climate Action Summit and our Asia Action Summit.
- Working flexible hours when required to support events and announcements across international time zones.
- An international and always on mindset.
- Experience in media or a press office with a strong media network.
- Proven success in developing and delivering impactful, integrated media strategies and comms work.
- A creative and innovative mind that is constantly seeking new ways to improve the impact, efficiency and effectiveness of everything they do.
- A dynamic, flexible and diplomatic professional with the ability to drive through ideas in complex networks.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to build effective working relationships across a range of cultural contexts.
- Able to balance strategic thinking and development with rolling up sleeves and implementing ideas.
- Experience in working with businesses as well as NGOs.
- Experience of working in a global environment.
- Strong organisational skills, with the ability to multi-task in order to meet deadlines.
- Commitment to the mission of the Climate Group and our work.
Youll be based in our London head office near Tower Bridge (SE1 2NQ), and enjoy the benefits of flexible and hybrid working: 3 days in the office and 2 days from home.
Occasional/frequent international travel will be required.
As well as having excellent green credentials, our brand new open-plan workspace offers the ultimate flexibility for your working day, whether youre working collaboratively, hosting a hybrid meeting with your global colleagues, or need some focus time in an acoustic booth or at a standing desk. The building also offers a well-equipped gym, secure bike parking and showers.
What we offer
Our people are at the heart of what we do and are our greatest asset. Youll be joining a global community of bold, ambitious doers who are committed to driving climate action fast.
This is a permanent position. The salary offered is £38,560 to £43,500 per annum, based on experience.
In addition to the rewards youll find from working with friendly, passionate people wholl challenge and help you grow, we offer a fantastic benefits package:
- 25 days holiday per year, plus public holidays
- Long-service holiday bonus of an additional day after three and six years service
- 10% non-contributory pension scheme after three months service
- Hybrid working
- Private medical insurance and cash plan on completion of probation
- Life assurance
- Monthly wellbeing allowance plus Headspace membership
- Paid leave for volunteering, moving house and getting married
- Season ticket loan
- Bike loan scheme
- Comprehensive learning and development initiatives to help you reach your full potential
Submit your application now using the Apply button.
Applications for this position should come in the form of a CV and one-page cover letter covering why you want to work with Climate Group and how your experience, skills and knowledge relate to the competencies outlined above.
If you need any further information, require the job advert in an accessible format, or need additional support at any stage of the recruitment process, please contact Rik Goverde, Director of Programme and Corporate Communications at RGoverde@climategroup.org.
The closing date for applications is 29 November 2023. Well be holding interviews on a rolling basis, therefore welcome and encourage early applications.
The requisite eligibility criteria, or work visa to work in the UK are a requirement for this position and no relocation and/or sponsorship costs will be borne by Climate Group.
Please note we will not be engaging recruitment agencies for this role.