At SMA America, we believe in Energy that Changes. Since 1981, SMA has been developing innovative solar technology with a purpose - making the installation, operation, and maintenance of photovoltaic power plants simpler, more reliable, safer and more cost effective. In the meantime, we've also been collecting awards as a great place to work, providing growth opportunities to our employees, and challenging conventional thought.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Technical Training Specialist balances time between training new and current employees on equipment and preparing them for work in the field. The Technical Training Specialist is responsible for creating and presenting training materials to both internal and external customers as determined by business needs.
PRIMARY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborates with department manager to develop new training materials as needed to best serve customer needs and changes in product lines. Focus areas may include PPS Solar Academy, PPS preventative maintenance and fault analysis, and PPS first-level diagnostics and repair.
- Serves as the principal trainer during training events, with support from other departments as needed.
- Assists with scheduling of all company-sponsored training events, including in-house, regional, customer site, and special training events.
- Distributes and collects customer feedback surveys, and utilizes feedback to suggest improvements to future training materials and events.
- Reviews company policies regarding training events and makes recommendations to the management team when new policies, or changes to existing policies are needed.
- Examines existing training modalities and assists in the development of new modalities that could improve the effectiveness of the training function.
- Other duties as may be required or assigned.
REQUIRED TRAINING (TYPE / DURATION / FIELD / ADDITIONAL TRAINING)
- A bachelor's degree in relevant area (electrical engineering, business, or education) is required
REQUIRED RELEVANT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE (TYPE / DURATION)
- At least 2 years of experience in a training role is required.
- Experience in electronics or a related technical field is preferred.
- This position requires some (10-20%) overnight travel.
OTHER SPECIALIZED SKILLS
- Friendly and customer minded
- Enjoys working in a team
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
- Accustomed to making independent decisions/judgments about work priorities
- Ability to manage execution and prioritize multiple projects
- Ability to manage details without losing sight of the bigger picture
- Ability to analyze and solve problems quickly and effectively
- Working knowledge and proficiency with NFPA-70E-2012 and NEC-2011.
- Working knowledge of OSHA and other state and federal guidelines.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, are required.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, is required. German and/or Spanish language skills are a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) is required.
- Ability to teach, mentor and lead.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems effectively.
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively under pressure and deadlines.
- This position requires some domestic travel and international travel (10-20%).
- This position requires the trainer to be in office a majority (Generally 3 out of 4 weeks) of their time
The salary range for this position is $75,000-90,000 annually.
Our EEO Policy
We are an equal opportunity employer and we make our employment decisions on the basis of merit and without regard to one's race, color, creed, sex (includes gender, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), gender identity, religion, marital status, age (over 40), national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability (includes HIV/Aids), medical condition (cancer, genetic characteristics), veteran's status, sexual orientation, or any other consideration made unlawful by law.
In accordance with applicable law protecting qualified individuals with known disabilities, SMA will attempt to reasonably accommodate qualified applicants with known disabilities, unless doing so would create an undue hardship on SMA. Any qualified applicant with a disability who believes he or she requires an accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of the job for which he or she is applying should identify the accommodation(s) needed in the application.
During your job application or recruitment process with us: (a) SMA may collect your personal information directly from you, such as when you submit your application and resume on our online portal or when you have job interviews with us. We may also obtain your personal information from third parties, including but not limited to your former employers, background or employment check service providers or third-party recruiters; and, (b) SMA may use or process applicants' personal information for relevant purposes including but not limited to general communications with you, identity verification, background or employment checks, determination of eligibility, and making hiring decisions. For successful job applicants who become SMA's staff, we may retain and integrate your personal information collected during the recruitment process into your records at SMA. For unsuccessful job applicants, [SMA may retain your application for internal records or for future recruitment purposes].
If you are a California resident, you have specific rights regarding your personal information under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, as amended including by the California Privacy Rights Act of 2020, and its implementing regulations (the "CCPA"). This Company Personnel and Covered Individuals Privacy Notice for California Residents issued by SMA is applicable to you and explains your CCPA rights and our collection, use or disclosure of your personal information.