Senior Application Engineer, Utility Scale
SMA Solar Technology
30+ days ago
The Senior Application Engineer’s primary responsibility is serving as a technical product specialist for PV and Energy Storage solutions and systems. Duties include advising SMA’s customers in North America, Mexico, and Central America by analyzing system specifications and requirements, reviewing and/or proposing system designs, answering technical questions, developing internal sales materials and by supporting the SMA sales organization including joint customer visits.
PRIMARY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as a Senior Technical specialist for SMA and assists customers with technical questions via telephone, e-mail and/or face-to-face meetings.
- Reviews customer and utility interconnection requirements and helps select the right SMA products and services. Assists customers in the project design process. Supports Key customers and EPC customer base.
- Serves as a liaison between the US sales team and the technical team at SMA HQ in Germany.
- Creates and delivers internal and external technical training.
- Creates sales materials, to be used by the sales staff during meetings with existing customers and potential new clients.
- Conducts competitor analysis & provides technical argumentation to successfully compete against the analyzed products/solutions.
- Attends industry conferences and trade shows as necessary.
- Interface to product management, engineering, and Service teams.
- Other duties as may be required or assigned.
REQUIRED TRAINING (TYPE / DURATION / FIELD / ADDITIONAL TRAINING)
- A bachelor’s degree in electrical/mechanical engineering or relevant experience is a must; an additional master’s degree in electrical or mechanical engineering would be a strong plus.
REQUIRED RELEVANT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE (TYPE / DURATION)
- Minimum 5 to 7 years of experience in renewable engineering. Experience in PV or Storage systems & solutions are a plus.
OTHER SPECIALIZED SKILLS
- In depth knowledge of power electronics including inverters and transformers is preferred.
- In depth knowledge in power systems design is preferred.
- Sound knowledge of the US energy sector including applicable norms, standards and regulations strongly desired. Knowledge of the energy sector in Mexico and/or Central America would be a plus.
- Knowledge of solar electric (PV) installation and system design is preferred.
- Knowledge of PVSyst or similar PV system modeling tool is preferred.
- Knowledge of Battery Systems and Solutions is preferred.
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, is required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) required.
- Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy and excellent organizational skills are required.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills are required.
- Excellent organizational skills are required.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to perform in a fast paced environment and handle multiple projects in parallel.
- Highly customer and success orientated.
- Ability to work individually as well as part of a team.
- This position may require periodic domestic travel as well as international travel to Canada, Latin America and the company’s headquarters in Germany.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $95,000.00 - $150,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bachelor's (Required)
- renewable engineering: 5 years (Preferred)
Work Location: Remote
- Health insurance