At SMA America, we believe in Energy that Changes. Since 1981, SMA has been developing innovative solar technology with a purpose - making the installation, operation, and maintenance of photovoltaic power plants simpler, more reliable, safer and more cost effective. In the meantime, we've also been collecting awards as a great place to work, providing growth opportunities to our employees, and challenging conventional thought.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
- The O&M Service Technician is responsible for maintaining Utility & Commercial PV plants in the field. Duties include maintaining, troubleshooting, repairing, and basic analyzing of PV plants, Utility & commercial inverter applications and all associated equipment and site assets.
PRIMARY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains, conducts basic troubleshooting & repairs, and analyzes Utility and commercial PV Plants and equipment in the field, via email, telephone and site visits.
- Develops a knowledge of SMA's commercial inverter products, associated SMA accessories, and third-party accessories.
- Develops and maintains knowledge of PV plant operations, designs and basis of operations and design.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the National Electric Code (NFPA 70), NFPA 70E, NESC.
- Regularly works with high voltage DC electricity, three phase AC power, and the relevant software and firmware of the PV SCADA and control systems and solar inverters.
- Maintains a high level of customer satisfaction while striving to lower the costs of O&M.
- Other duties as may be required or assigned.
REQUIRED TRAINING (TYPE / DURATION / FIELD / ADDITIONAL TRAINING)
- An Associates' degree in a technical field is strongly preferred or Apprentice/Journeyman training in electrical or PV field with 2+ years' experience.
REQUIRED RELEVANT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE (TYPE / DURATION)
- At least 3 years of experience in electrical, electronic and/or network communications are required. Prior experience in the solar energy industry is strongly preferred.
OTHER SPECIALIZED SKILLS
- Knowledge of PV solar and/or alternative energy markets is required.
- Knowledge of National Electric Code is required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, is required. German and/or Spanish language skills are a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) is required.
- Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy are required.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems effectively.
- This position may require periodic domestic and international travel.
The salary range for this position is $24-$27 per hour.
Our EEO Policy
We are an equal opportunity employer and we make our employment decisions on the basis of merit and without regard to one's race, color, creed, sex (includes gender, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), gender identity, religion, marital status, age (over 40), national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability (includes HIV/Aids), medical condition (cancer, genetic characteristics), veteran's status, sexual orientation, or any other consideration made unlawful by law.
In accordance with applicable law protecting qualified individuals with known disabilities, SMA will attempt to reasonably accommodate qualified applicants with known disabilities, unless doing so would create an undue hardship on SMA. Any qualified applicant with a disability who believes he or she requires an accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of the job for which he or she is applying should identify the accommodation(s) needed in the application.
During your job application or recruitment process with us: (a) SMA may collect your personal information directly from you, such as when you submit your application and resume on our online portal or when you have job interviews with us. We may also obtain your personal information from third parties, including but not limited to your former employers, background or employment check service providers or third-party recruiters; and, (b) SMA may use or process applicants' personal information for relevant purposes including but not limited to general communications with you, identity verification, background or employment checks, determination of eligibility, and making hiring decisions. For successful job applicants who become SMA's staff, we may retain and integrate your personal information collected during the recruitment process into your records at SMA. For unsuccessful job applicants, [SMA may retain your application for internal records or for future recruitment purposes].
If you are a California resident, you have specific rights regarding your personal information under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, as amended including by the California Privacy Rights Act of 2020, and its implementing regulations (the "CCPA"). This Company Personnel and Covered Individuals Privacy Notice for California Residents issued by SMA is applicable to you and explains your CCPA rights and our collection, use or disclosure of your personal information.